London24NEWS

Wayne Bridge pulls out of KSI struggle after YouTuber taunts him over ex-girlfriend

Wayne Bridge has pulled out of his fight with KSI after the YouTuber-turned-boxer made comments about his ex-girlfriend and former Chelsea team-mate John Terry

KSI will fight Wayne Bridge
Wayne Bridge has pulled out of his fight with KSI(Image: Getty Images)

Wayne Bridge has cancelled his boxing fight with YouTuber KSI after comments were made about his ex-girlfriend.

The former Chelsea and Manchester City defender was set to fight KSI in Manchester on March 29 on the Misfits 21 card. But Bridge has announced on social media that he has pulled out of the contest after KSI taunted him about his ex-girlfriend’s alleged affair with former team-mate John Terry.

In a statement, Bridge said: “I’m sure a lot of you have seen what happened on Saturday night at the Misfits Boxing event. Firstly, I think it’s important that I explain my reason for accepting the fight. I always like to challenge myself. This felt like a good opportunity to go up against an interesting opponent on a big stage.

“I have always loved boxing as part of my everyday training routine. I was fully prepared to train hard and have some fun. Of course, I expected to face some criticism, but I feel like what was said on Saturday crossed a line. These are deeply personal comments that affect mine and other families involved in the situation. I’m a family man first and my priority is protecting them.

“My opponent is someone that many children look up to around the world, including my kids. I hope one day he will look back on this differently. I personally don’t want to be involved in these exchanges. I will no longer be fighting on March 29. I’m still looking out for my next big challenge and have some exciting things coming up in 2025.

Wayne Bridge - Spencer Matthews
Bridge previously fought Made in Chelsea’s Spencer Matthews(Image: BBC / Sport Relief)

“Thanks for all the love. The support has been overwhelming. I want my friends and family to know how special they are. Deep down I know this is the right thing to do.”

Article continues below

When facing off with Bridge, KSI said: “Aren’t you the guy that let John Terry smash your ex?” Bridge retorted: “You want to go there straightaway do you?” KSI continued: “I’m pretty sure that’s what you’re known for.” The influencer then started a chant of ‘Vanessa woah, Vanessa woah’. Bridge’s ex-girlfriend always denied she had had an affair with Terry.

KSI hasn’t fought since he was beaten by Tommy Fury in October 2023. His fight against the former England left-back was announced ahead of Misfits 20, which saw former UFC welterweight Darren Till beat Anthony Taylor. Till has since made it clear he is willing to fight KSI in March.