London24NEWS

Man United ‘slash ticket costs for Manchester derby on account of lack of gross sales’ – after Sir Jim Ratcliffe controversially raised them to £66 earlier this season

  • Sir Jim Ratcliffe removed concessions when he bumped ticket prices up to £66
  • Now Man United have reportedly rowed back for the derby after a lack of uptake
  • LISTEN NOW: It’s All Kicking Off! Are Liverpool fans right to lambast Trent Alexander-Arnold? 

Manchester United have reportedly almost halved their ticket prices for Sunday’s derby after a lack of uptake.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe made a deeply unpopular decision earlier this season when he elevated ticket prices for members to £66, even removing concessions for OAPs and kids.

Fans have hit back with a series of protests against the ownership, with thousands turning out before the draw with Arsenal earlier this month, and are planning a sit-in for the clash with Manchester City

And it appears they may have made a dent, as United have cut ticket prices for the derby to £40, and re-introduced concessions at £25, according to The Sun

What’s more, they have also reduced prices for members for the rest of the season. 

It comes after they failed to sell out the derby at the raised price point, although they are now expected to gather a full house. 

Manchester United have reportedly slashed ticket prices for the upcoming derby after a lack of update - following Sir Jim Ratcliffe's move to raise fares to £66 and strip away any concessions

Manchester United have reportedly slashed ticket prices for the upcoming derby after a lack of update – following Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s move to raise fares to £66 and strip away any concessions

Fans have staged multiple protests throughout the season and are planning another

Fans have staged multiple protests throughout the season and are planning another 

United sit 13th in the Premier League and play Nottingham Forest before they welcome City

United sit 13th in the Premier League and play Nottingham Forest before they welcome City 

Fan group The 1958 are planning a sit-in protest at next weekend’s Manchester derby after they and breakaway club FC United held a joint protest against the Glazers on Saturday.

The 1958 organised the biggest anti-ownership demonstration since Sir Jim Ratcliffe became co-owner when Arsenal visited Old Trafford, and they continued their fight seven miles away at FC United’s Broadhurst Park ground on Saturday.

The Glazers’ takeover was the catalyst to the foundation of FCUM in 2005 and The 1958 joined them in their stand against the ownership and current situation around Manchester United as part of the first ‘United United Day’ in six years. 

On Sunday they will hold a sit-in protest after the derby, having last done so in August 2023, when thousands of fans stayed behind after a match against Nottingham Forest. 

Chris Haymes of The 1958 group said: ‘We’re going to get people to sit in their seats.

‘MUST (Manchester United Supporters Trust) did a flash survey and they reckon there’s going to be about 7,000 concessions, OAP people, who are not going to renew their season tickets.

‘So, they’re trying to price them out of their seats, so we’re going to tell you to sit in your seat, stay in your seat. That’s your seat that you paid for. You probably have done for last 50 or 60 years. After that game, we’re going to stay in that seat.’

Earlier this month, a spokesperson from The 1958 said: ‘The club is slowly dying before our eyes, on and off the pitch, and the blame lies squarely at the current ownership model.

‘In many ways, this is the biggest crisis the club faced since the Munich air disaster [which killed 23 in 1958] which inspires our name.’

Manchester United will first have to contend with a Tuesday night trip to Nottingham Forest and sit 13th in the Premier League.

In a boost for Ruben Amorim, Luke Shaw, Harry Maguire, and Leny Yoro have all returned to training in the past few days.