What Donald Trump mentioned about King Charles as main UK-US commerce deal replace given
Donald Trump has sent his well wishes to King Charles after the monarch was hospitalised amid major UK-US talks on an economic prosperity deal
Donald Trump has extended his well wishes to King Charles, who was recently hospitalised, as significant discussions between the UK and US on an economic prosperity deal continue. The US President and Prime Minister Keir Starmer engaged in “productive” talks, with their teams agreeing to further negotiations this week.
The conversation began with Trump sending his best wishes to the 76 year old monarch, who was admitted to hospital on Thursday due to temporary side effects from his ongoing cancer treatment. King Charles, who has been receiving weekly hospital treatment since his diagnosis in February, was spotted leaving London to rest at his Highgrove estate in Gloucestershire over the weekend.
A spokesperson for Downing Street stated: “The Prime Minister spoke to President Trump this evening. The President opened by wishing His Majesty the King best wishes and good health.”
READ MORE: Sicko executed for murdering and raping girl, 8, then stabbing her gran 21 times
The leaders discussed the ongoing negotiations between their teams regarding a UK-US economic prosperity deal, agreeing to continue the talks at a rapid pace this week. Additionally, they touched on the situation in Ukraine, with the Prime Minister updating Trump on the productive discussions at the Coalition of Willing meeting in Paris.
Both leaders concurred on the need to maintain collective pressure on Putin and agreed to stay in touch in the coming days. Downing Street is in a mad dash to carve out an exemption from Trump’s plan to slap tariffs on US imports starting April 2, which the President has dubbed “liberation day”, reports the Mirror.
Trump dropped a bombshell earlier this week with his announcement of a new 25% tariff on all imported cars to the US, a move that could spell trouble for British luxury car manufacturers like Rolls-Royce and Jaguar Land Rover. This hefty levy on vehicles is part of a broader range of tariffs set to kick in on Wednesday.
Home Secretary Yvette Cooper voiced her concerns on Sky News on Sunday, saying: “Obviously we’re very disappointed at the US decision to introduce tariffs, including around auto and steel and so on. The Chancellor has said there are continuing intense discussions with the US.”
When pressed on whether the UK government would strike a deal with Washington by Wednesday, she responded: “We’ll keep discussion underway. But we’ll also keep all options on the table as well and the UK government will always be operating in the national interest for the UK as well.”
Cooper didn’t rule out the possibility of the UK clapping back with reciprocal measures against Donald Trump’s looming tariffs, indicating that “no option is off the table” in the government’s strategy. Quizzed on potential UK retaliation, Ms Cooper stated: “The Prime Minister has said is no option is off the table. We will continue to approach this in the UK national interest.”
However, she noted that negotiations were still in progress to hammer out a deal.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.