London24NEWS

‘Special’ boy, 16, killed in Manchester crash as heartbroken mum pays tribute

Alfie Moran, 16, was struck by a car while crossing Kingsway in Burnage, south Manchester, on Friday (January 2)

A teenager who tragically lost his life after being hit by a vehicle on a busy road in south Manchester has been pictured for the first time, as his mum shares a devastating tribute to her ‘special’ son.

Alfie Moran was crossing Kingsway in Burnage as a pedestrian when the crash occured last Friday (January 2). The 16 year old sustained severe injuries and was rushed to hospital where he sadly passed away, reports the Manchester Evening News..

Officers said that the driver of a Seat Ibiza was travelling along Kingsway in Manchester at approximately 6.40pm.

An investigation continues into the crash, with an 18 year old man previously detained and released on bail in relation to the incident.

In a moving tribute to Alfie, his mother described him as a ‘special boy’ with the ‘biggest heart’.

She said: “My Alfie boy was always our special boy with the biggest heart. Everyone who knew him would always tell me that I had the best boy, he knew how very proud I was of him.

“He was the best friend to everyone, losing him has left our family broken. We had so much planned this year, he loved gaming and motorbikes and had already started saving up to buy his first bike. I will forever be lost without him.”

A fundraising campaign has been launched online to aid Alfie’s family in the wake of his sudden passing. The organiser, Mario Conway, penned: “It doesn’t get any worse than this. It’s the start of a new year and no parent should have to deal with the loss of their child, so I’ve decided to set up this page to give Alfie’s parents one less thing to worry about and for them to see how much he is loved.”

In a heartfelt Facebook post on Saturday (January 3), Alfie’s mother Shelley expressed her profound grief, stating: “For those that don’t know we had to say goodbye to my Alfie boy in the early hours this morning.

“He was surrounded by the people he loved and for that I will FOREVER be grateful. I can still feel your hug and hear you saying love youuuu in that silly voice before you left.”

The Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Greater Manchester Police are persisting with their investigation into the fatal accident. DC Antrobus from GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit previously remarked: “This is a tragic incident, and my thoughts are first and foremost with the family of the young boy who sadly lost his life. They are being supported by specialist officers, and we would ask that their privacy is respected as they grieve.

Article continues below

“We know that the local community will also be shocked and saddened to hear of this incident however we’d encourage anyone with information, or who may have been in the area at the time the incident occurred to please come forward. This also includes anyone who witnessed the incident or has dashcam footage of it.”

Officers are urging anyone with information to please step forward. This includes individuals who witnessed the incident or possess CCTV or dashcam footage.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.