Police assertion in full as drive provides replace after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor launched
Thames Valley Police has provided an update after Andrew was pictured leaving a police station following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his ties to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein, police said.
The ex-Royal spent 11 hours in custody after being held at 8am on his 66th birthday in a bombshell arrest, which made global headlines. Andrew is accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Cops combed his current home at the Sandringham Estate and his former home Royal Lodge in Windsor. Pictures showed unmarked police vans outside his old mansion that cops were seen filling with items.
Andrew was pictured slouched in the back of a vehicle on Thursday evening as he left Aylsham police station in Norfolk. After the pictures emerged, Thames Valley Police issued an updated statement.
The force said: “Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.
“On Thursday (19/2) we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The arrested man has now been released under investigation. We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”
The force said its searches in Berkshire are still under way, and that it would make no further statement at this time. The force did not name Andrew, in line with national police guidance.
But he was pictured reclining in the back seat of a car almost 12 hours after his arrest earlier this morning.
In an earlier statement, the force said: “Thames Valley Police has opened an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.
“As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2), at approximately 8am, arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
“The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
