London24NEWS

Inside bombshell plot to take away Andrew from line of succession after shock arrest

Prince Andrew could be removed from the line of succession under plans being considered by the government following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is set to be stripped from the line of succession under proposals being weighed up by the government, it is understood. The disgraced former prince, presently eighth in line to the throne, would be excluded through an Act of Parliament following agreement with the 14 British realms.

Sources indicate the government will commence consultation once multiple police investigations into allegations concerning Andrew’s behaviour have concluded. The King’s brother, who was sensationally detained at his temporary Norfolk residence on Thursday and held for 11 hours, had been facing growing pressure to abandon his position.

Sir Ed Davey, the Liberal Democrat leader, added his voice to calls saying Andrew’s position in the line of royal succession was something Parliament was “going to have to consider when the time is right”.

Parliamentary legislation would be necessary to exclude Andrew from the line of succession. “The most important thing right now is that the police be allowed to get on with their job, acting without fear or favour,” Sir Ed said.

“But clearly this is an issue that Parliament is going to have to consider when the time is right, naturally the monarchy will want to make sure he can never become king.”, reports the Mirror.

Officers will continue to examine Andrew’s former residence Royal Lodge in Windsor following his release from custody on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He was detained on Thursday morning following accusations made against him after the publication of documents connected to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew has refuted any misconduct regarding his Epstein connections, but has not directly addressed the recent allegations.

After Andrew’s detention, the King declared in a statement that “the law must take its course” and the police have “our full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.

Latest YouGov polling reveals the vast majority of Britons (82%) believe the former prince should be stripped from the line of succession, with just 6% thinking he should not. Numerous MPs and party leaders have demanded a comprehensive statutory investigation following the arrest, with some calling for a debate on the monarchy’s future.

Green Party leader Zack Polanski described the circumstances as “pretty awful” and said there are many questions requiring answers. Speaking whilst campaigning in Gorton, Greater Manchester, Mr Polanski said: “We obviously need to wait for the legal process to make its way, but I would say we really need a full statutory inquiry into public figures from institutions, where crimes have been committed – if they’ve been committed – what we knew, what other people in those institutions knew and, where necessary, to make sure that the appropriate people are removed.”

Mr Polanski expressed his view that the country should not maintain a monarchy.

He stated: “The monarchy are doing a pretty good job in themselves of not having their proudest moments over various issues we’ve seen in the last couple of years and, when the public are ready to have that national conversation about the monarchy, I think issues like this certainly don’t help the monarchy’s case.”

Labour MP Rachael Maskell spoke to the Press Association, insisting that all allegations against Andrew should be examined “in the appropriate way”. “From the evidence already held in the public domain, it is clear that his position as a Counsellor of State and with succession rights are removed, as well as all titles,” the York Central MP declared.

Article continues below

“I trust that legislation can be passed to achieve this. I am glad that the King seeks to be as helpful as he can, and providing support to Parliament to act would assist in this.”

Meanwhile, Labour’s Richard Burgon (Leeds East) called for an independent investigation into what the royal family knew about Andrew’s Epstein connections on X. He asserted: “It’s time for a serious national debate about abolishing the monarchy. Even if you disagree, we should discuss the role of hereditary privilege in our democracy.”

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.