London24NEWS

Oliver Glasner might go away Crystal Palace imminently as he makes new weird public assertion

Oliver Glasner has suggested he could leave Crystal Palace imminently and is ‘just not good enough right now’.

Palace’s FA Cup-winning manager is reportedly holding talks over his immediate future today after the fans turned on him following a run of one win in 15 games and his public outbursts ahead of a planned summer exit.

Glasner had already announced last month that he would be leaving Palace at the end of the season when his contract expires and declared himself ‘ready for a new challenge’.

But things have gone downhill since and the travelling fans taunted him with chants of ‘sacked in the morning’ at last night’s Conference League draw at Zrinjski Mostar.

Today, asked if he wanted to stick with his timeline of staying until the end of the season, Glasner said: ‘Let’s see what the future brings, you never know’.

Oliver Glasner had already revealed he would be leaving Crystal Palace in the summer

Oliver Glasner had already revealed he would be leaving Crystal Palace in the summer

Glasner is pictured lifting the FA Cup at Wembley in May before his reign turned sour

Glasner is pictured lifting the FA Cup at Wembley in May before his reign turned sour

He had earlier said: ‘We’re not in the best moment right now. I understand and take responsibility for everything, because I’m responsible for the whole team.

‘I’m just not good enough to replace the players we sold. I’m just not good enough to integrate the new players in a way.’

Glasner says Palace’s expectations have ‘completely changed’ and added: ‘It’s my responsibility to get a turnaround… I can’t do it.’ 

‘It’s still one of the best Premier League seasons in the last 10 years,’ he said. ‘It just shows that the expectations are completely different.

‘We’re still two days until the next game and then it’s my responsibility to get the turnaround, because I can’t expect it from the players if I’m not that way. But right now, I just can’t do it, because it’s how I feel. It’s a very challenging situation for all of us. I take responsibility for everything.’

Glasner was infuriated when captain Marc Guehi was sold to Manchester City in January for a cut-price £20million and had also been upset at the £60m exit of FA Cup final goalscorer Eberechi Eze to Arsenal last summer.

Striker Jorgen Strand Larsen arrived from Wolves for £48m last month, while Brennan Johnson was bought for £35m from Tottenham. But a move for Dwight McNeil from Everton broke down on deadline day.

Palace, who are favourites to win the Conference League, were lucky not to lose in Mostar on Thursday night and Glasner admitted work needed to be done before the second leg next week. 

Ismaila Sarr celebrates with Jorgen Strand Larsen after scoring for Palace in Mostar

Ismaila Sarr celebrates with Jorgen Strand Larsen after scoring for Palace in Mostar

‘Yes (it feels like a missed opportunity),’ Glasner said. ‘We were controlling the game, had the lead, and then we made two easy mistakes.

‘We gave away the momentum and that is what we have to learn.

‘At the end of the day it’s half-time and we have to get it sorted at home.’

Palace are 13th in the Premier League with 32 points, eight points clear of the relegation zone with 12 games left to play.