West Wing star Timothy Busfield pleads NOT GUILTY to 4 counts of sexual contact with a toddler
Timothy Busfield has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual contact with a child in a New Mexico court case, the Daily Mail can confirm.
The 68-year-old former West Wing actor was indicted by a grand jury on February 6 and accused of touching two children on the set of The Cleaning Lady while filming in Albuquerque between November 2022 and spring 2024.
Days later, on February 10, he pleaded not guilty, according to court records.
The following day, February 11, Busfield waived his arraignment and court appearances for all pretrial proceedings.
His request was granted by Judge Joseph Montano on February 18.
The Daily Mail has reached out to Busfield’s representatives for comment.
Timothy Busfield has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual contact with a child in a New Mexico court case; seen in February 2020
The 68-year-old former West Wing actor was indicted by a grand jury on February 6 and accused of touching two children on the set of The Cleaning Lady while filming in Albuquerque between November 2022 and spring 2024; seen on January 20
A witness list was issued on February 13 and includes multiple people from Busfield’s past stretching as far back as 1991.
His legal team will attend a March 10 hearing scheduled at 8:30am.
People was the first to report the star’s plea.
One of the alleged victims told a forensic child interviewer that Busfield touched his ‘private areas’ on set when he was seven years old, according to a criminal complaint.
The boy alleged the abuse happened five or six times between sets.
He claimed Busfield assaulted him again when he was eight years old, claiming it happened three or four times.
The boy’s twin brother told authorities he was also touched by Busfield, but he did not specify where and didn’t say anything because he didn’t want to get in trouble, the complaint said.
The charges come one month after Busfield was arrested for the alleged crimes.
He has since denied the allegations, and his attorneys have argued the accusations are part of a revenge plot manufactured by the boys’ parents after the children lost their roles in the TV series.
The charges were brought against the star by a grand jury in Bernalillo County and the case will be prosecuted by the Special Victims Unit, district attorney Sam Bregman announced earlier this month.
Busfield’s wife Melissa Gilbert has staunchly defended him since the sex abuse allegations came to light in January; the couple seen in 2020
Busfield, seen in 2020, waived his arraignment and court appearances for all pretrial proceedings
Busfield was arrested and booked in January after a warrant was issued for his arrest in New Mexico and he turned himself in.
Before turning himself in, he called the allegations lies in a video shared by TMZ.
‘I’m going to confront these lies. They’re horrible. They’re all lies, and I did not do anything to those little boys, and I’m going to fight it,’ he insisted.
But Assistant District Attorney Savannah Brandenburg-Koch called evidence of abuse against the Hollywood veteran ‘strong and specific’ during a January 20 court hearing.
Brandenburg-Koch also said witnesses expressed fear about potential retaliation and professional harm.
‘The boys’ allegations are supported by medical findings and by their therapist,’ the ADA said. ‘Their accounts were specific and not exaggerated.’
Busfield’s wife Melissa Gilbert recently announced that she will be returning to work following a brief hiatus to ‘gather my strength’ amid her husband’s child sex abuse charges.
In a video uploaded to social media earlier this week on Monday, the actress shared that she will resume her duties as Chief Creative Officer at her lifestyle brand Modern Prairie.
Gilbert recently announced that she will be returning to work following a brief hiatus to ‘gather my strength’ amid her husband’s child sex abuse charges; seen in 2023 in Monaco
‘As many of you know, I stepped away for a little while to focus on my family,’ she explained in an Instagram clip
‘As many of you know, I stepped away for a little while to focus on my family,’ she explained in an Instagram clip.
‘It was time I needed, time to be present, to tend to what matters most and to gather my strength in a season that has not been easy. Family is everything to me, and during this incredibly difficult time, I leaned into that truth fully.’
She then gave a special shout out to her own family at Modern Prairie and sent gratitude for their ‘encouragement’ as well as ‘steady presence.’
Gilbert later added that she will still focus on her ‘commitment’ to the ‘journey that lies ahead for my family.
‘That remains steadfast, that remains my heart. But it is important for me to step back into this work. It strengthens my mindset, it gives me purpose, it reminds me of who I am beyond hard days.’
Gilbert later added that she will still focus on her ‘commitment’ to the ‘journey that lies ahead for my family’
Last month on January 20, Busfield had been released from custody. At the time, Gilbert could be seen sitting inside the courtroom as the judge announced that Busfield would be released on his own recognizance (seen above)
In conclusion, the star expressed that she is ‘so proud to walk forward with you, so let’s get back at it together.’
Last month on January 20, Busfield had been released from custody.
At the time, Gilbert could be seen sitting inside the courtroom as the judge announced that Busfield would be released on his own recognizance.
The actress tearfully reacted as she clasped her hands together and whispered, ‘Thank you, God.’
