London24NEWS

Meghan Markle ‘kicked from Guy Ritchie present’ as Netflix bosses concern ‘backlash’

The Duchess of Sussex had been rumoured to make an appearance in the new season of The Gentleman, however according to journalist Tina Brown she has now been taken out of the line-up

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle(Image: Jonathan Brady/Pool PA via AP)

Meghan Markle has reportedly been dropped from apparent her role in Guy Ritchie’s The Gentleman after the public backlash to the casting was deemed “too fierce”.

Journalist Tina Brown, who formally edited Tatler and The New Yorker, took to X to drop the news that the Duchess of Sussex had been booted from the popular Netflix series, writing: “Newsflash: I have heard that Meghan Markle ’s role in Guy Ritchie’s Netflix series The Gentlemen is OFF. Public backlash was too fierce”, adding that “this does not bode well for Meghan’s acting comeback in the UK.”

Meghan’s appearance in The Gentleman was never confirmed either by Netflix nor her representatives.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are back in the UK (Image: Tom Maddick / SWNS.com)

The rumoured U-turn on the actor-turned-royal comes after she and her husband Prince Harry sensationally announced their return to the UK, with multiple reasons being suggested for the decision including this reported new role.

Markle, 45, was most famous for portraying Rachel Zane in Suits prior to her marriage to Harry in 2018. She appeared in more than 100 episodes of the programme before declaring her retirement as she began her journey within the Royal Family.

When stepping away from her acting profession, the former Tig blogger remarked: “I don’t see it as giving anything up, I just see it as a change. It’s a new challenge.”

The Gentlemen

Would you have enjoyed Meghan Markle appearing in The Gentleman? (Image: Netflix)

Bronte Coy of News.com.au said: “What they want to do, their style of modelling moving forward, is to do the commercial things so that that then funds the other side, so obviously this is not going to be a burden on taxpayers.”

Bronte added: “People close to Harry said that he was very keen to continue this style of tour. Now that obviously was going to encompass the UK.”

Prince Harry and Meghan are believed to be looking at moving into a o a private, non-royal residence outside London, with the pair’s children seven-year-old Prince Archie and five-year-old Princess Lilibet enrolled to start at school in the UK in September.

Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle was reportedly taken out of the show because of ‘backlash’ (Image: Getty Images)

Article continues below

King Charles is believed to have been told of the move on Sunday, while the BBC reports that at the moment there are no current plans for either Prince Harry or Meghan to return to their roles as working Royals.