Married father-of-two James ‘Jamie’ Richards has been banned from working in schools for at least 15 years
This is the first picture of a pervert former headteacher who exposed his erect penis to a female colleague at his primary school. James ‘Jamie’ Richards worked at Cadle Primary School in Swansea, where his behaviour was described as “predatory” and “sexualised”.
The married father-of-two has been banned from working in maintained or non-maintained schools in Wales for at least 15 years, Wales Online reports, after a professional standards panel found all allegations against him proven. Concluding that Mr Richards’ behaviour over the course of a decade had put others at risk, the panel ruled he cannot apply to be considered for restitution to the Education Workforce Council (EWC) Wales register until at least November 2040.
The rules of registration mean a minimum period of striking off has to be imposed, although there is no guarantee he would be reinstated should he apply. During a four-day hearing, former and current staff at Cadle Primary described how the behaviour of Mr Richards, head of the school from 2011 to 2021, had left numerous women traumatised.
On one occasion, Mr Richards exposed his penis to a teacher on a school trip, telling her: “Inspect this, Miss”, the panel found. Another female member of staff was called to his office to find him standing next to his desk with his trousers pulled down and his erect penis in full view.
Former and current staff described how Mr Richards had told one colleague to go to his office, where he was sitting with his penis out disguised with a pair of glasses draped on it, showed “d**k pics” from his phone during a meeting, and on another occasion revealed a video of him caressing himself.
The women said they were left “shocked”, “numb”, and “frightened”. They couldn’t believe the seemingly friendly head would do this, especially on school premises, the hearing was told.
At times he had appeared apologetic afterwards and was said to have told one female member of staff as he exposed his penis: “I love my wife and children. I can’t help myself.”
To another he said: “You have seen too much of me,” after showing her images of his penis instead of a work presentation. In total, five women who worked with Mr Richards described how he exposed himself to them, leaving them too scared to report him.
A sixth witness described the IT kit he had been provided with by the school and how Mr Richards had not returned one laptop as requested during an internal investigation. It was this laptop he was said to have used to show naked images of his genitals.
He appeared to have gone out of his way to expose himself to members of staff he suspected may not be willing or feel able to report his actions, the panel heard. The women told the panel how they had previously liked and respected the “jovial” and “approachable” headteacher.
He had been helpful to them and was well-liked in the school community. The women feared they would not be believed if they reported his actions and one said she felt justified in that belief when South Wales Police were alerted but decided there was no criminal case to answer in late 2021.
She told the panel how she felt let down by the school and the police and was very upset Mr Richards had been able to resign from his post during an internal investigation after he was suspended in 2021. She told the panel she had felt silenced while the man who exposed himself to her and others “got away with it”.
All five of the women Mr Richards exposed himself to appeared in person to give evidence over three days of the virtual hearing from November 24 to 27. Mr Richards did not engage with the EWC process, was not at the hearing nor represented, and did not respond to the allegations.
As such, all of the allegations were taken as denied by the panel. Panel chair, Sue Davies, described how Mr Richards had refused to be interviewed for the school’s independent internal investigation in 2021.
He had also claimed through his union that he was unable to be interviewed owing to ill health affecting his cognitive and physical abilities. A Swansea Council fraud team followed Mr Richards while he claimed to be ill and filmed him driving and going with a group of male friends to play golf.
Footage shown to the hearing showed the disgraced former headteacher striding across a golf course in apparent good health and taking swings with a club. Ms Davies said while the witnesses had been clear and credible, Mr Richards had been dishonest and not engaged or responded to the investigations.
Describing his behaviour exposing himself and revealing naked images as “overtly and expressly sexual in nature”, Ms Davies said the former headteacher’s behaviour was “harassing, abusive, and predatory”.
Ms Davies said: “Mr Richards was seeking sexual gratification by his actions and enjoyed the reaction of colleagues. Mr Richards was dishonest and self serving. He had a history and pattern of behaviour. This was deeply entrenched behaviour which represents a risk to young women and colleagues”
EWC presenting officer, Sara Lewis, said it was an aggravating feature that the headteacher not only abused his position of trust but also told his frightened victims not to say anything.
They had told the committee they feared for their jobs and not being believed. The committee found he exposed his penis to three women members of staff, showed two more images of his penis, and also asked one to compare her breasts to his wife’s breasts.
He had also shown one a video in which he caressed himself. A further allegation that he did not return a work laptop to the school, despite a request to hand over all working IT equipment, was also found proven, as well as an allegation that he caused or allowed inaccurate and/or misleading information to be provided to Swansea Council about his health.
The panel found his conduct in exposing himself was sexual in nature and/or sexually motivated and that his behaviour amounted to unacceptable professional conduct.
The committee said it did not have any information on the former head’s current work or whether he intended to try to return to the teaching profession, but said they had no alternative but to strike him off the EWC register, where he had been listed under the category of school teacher.
Mr Richards has the right of appeal to the High Court within 28 days.