Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg took the stand in a Los Angeles courtroom to testify in a civil trial on social media addiction, a closely-watched case that could have major implications for the tech industry.
While testifying Wednesday at the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Zuckerberg faced questions about his past congressional testimony, his company’s approach to underage users and Instagram’s beauty filters.
The 41-year-old CEO also faced more personal questions, including about his media training. At one point, the jury was shown a document titled the “Zuckerberg comms plan,” which includes advice for the 41-year-old on how to avoid appearing “fake, robotic, corporate and cheesy.”
This is the first time that the Meta CEO, who is worth an estimated $220 billion, has appeared in a civil trial. At the center of the case is a 20-year-old California woman, identified in court papers only as KGM, who filed a lawsuit against Meta, TikTok, Google, and Snap in 2022.
She accused the companies of following Big Tobacco’s playbook: instilling addictive behaviors in teens while dismissing their own research showing their products posed health risks. KGM said that, as a young child, she began obsessively using YouTube and Instagram. She claimed these platforms exacerbated her suicidal thoughts and depression — an allegation the companies have denied.
As of Wednesday afternoon, Zuckerberg had not yet directly answered the key question of whether Instagram, which Meta owns, is addictive, according to the Associated Press. At one point, the plaintiff’s attorney, Mark Lanier, asked him if people typically use something more if it’s addictive.
“I’m not sure what to say to that. I don’t think that applies here,” Zuckerberg testified.
Attorneys for the plaintiff claimed that approximately four million children under 13 are active on Instagram, according to CNBC. When Zuckerberg testified that Meta removes the underage users it finds and includes information about age usage during sign-up, Lanier replied: “You expect a nine-year-old to read all of the fine print?”
The plaintiff’s attorney questioned Zuckerberg about Instagram’s beauty filters — AI-powered tools that alter a person’s on-screen appearance — which have drawn criticism for negatively affecting users’ self-esteem. The CEO said the company had seen negative feedback about the filters, but ultimately decided not to ban them, citing freedom of expression.
Lanier also asked Zuckerberg about his previous testimony before Congress, during which he said his company does not set internal goals to ensure users spend more time on its platforms. When Lanier presented documents that appeared to contradict his claim, Zuckerberg said his company used to set these goals, but later made a decision to stop, according to the AP.
When questioned by Paul Schmidt, one of Meta’s attorneys, Zuckerberg told the court he wants his platforms to have a “positive impact in people’s lives,” according to Sky News.
During the high-profile proceedings — which barred cameras — the judge also threatened penalties for anyone caught recording with AI-powered smart glasses, CNBC reports. The outlet noted that, on Wednesday morning, several members of Zuckerberg’s entourage appeared to be wearing Meta’s AI glasses, which the company unveiled last year.
Earlier Wednesday, family members who say their children were harmed by social media were spotted in front of the courthouse, holding hands and embracing. One woman held up a photo of her deceased 14-year-old, who she said died after purchasing fentanyl on social media.
As Zuckerberg entered the courthouse, he appeared to be served legal papers. A video posted online showed a man approaching the tech boss with a sheaf of papers, while saying: “Mark Zuckerberg, you’ve been served.” Zuckerberg did not respond, and it’s not clear if someone in his entourage picked up the paperwork.
Before the trial began, TikTok and Snap settled with the plaintiff, narrowing the case to two defendants: Meta and Google.
“These companies built machines designed to addict the brains of children,” Lanier said at the beginning of the trial earlier this month. “And they did it on purpose.”
Meta, the parent company of Instagram and Facebook, has pushed back against the allegations.
“The question for the jury in Los Angeles is whether Instagram was a substantial factor in the plaintiff’s mental health struggles. The evidence will show she faced many significant, difficult challenges well before she ever used social media,” a Meta spokesperson told The Independent.
Schmidt, Meta’s lawyer, said in his opening statement that medical records indicate the plaintiff had a tumultuous home life and that she sought out social media platforms to cope with her pre-existing struggles.
Google has also denied the allegations brought by KGM.
More than 1,500 similar lawsuits have been filed against social media companies, but KGM’s is the first of a consolidated group to go to trial, according to CNN. It’s been chosen as a bellwether trial, meaning its verdict could help shape the outcome of numerous suits like it.
A legal victory for KGM could set a landmark precedent, making tech companies liable for designing addictive and harmful products.
In recent years, a number of studies have found links between young peoples’ frequent use of social media and negative mental health outcomes, such as anxiety and depression.
Meta, headquartered in Menlo Park, California, is also on trial in a separate case in New Mexico, in which plaintiffs accuse the company of exposing minors to sexual material and fostering a “breeding ground” for sexual predators. The company has denied the charges and has accused prosecutors of adopting “sensationalist” tactics.
Zuckerberg has appeared before Congress to testify on what impact his platforms — which are used by billions of people worldwide — have on youth mental health.
In January 2024, Zuckerberg attended a Capitol Hill hearing on social media’s harms, where lawmakers blasted him and other tech CEOs for failing to adequately address issues including addiction, mental health crises, bullying and sexual predators.
During the televised hearing, children and parents provided testimony describing how young people were exploited on social media platforms. Demonstrators silently stood behind Zuckerberg, holding up pictures of their deceased children.
At one point, Republican Senator Josh Hawley asked Zuckerberg if he would like to apologize to the families of victims seated in the room.
“I’m sorry for everything you have all been through,” the Meta CEO said, while turning to face them. “No one should go through the things that your families have suffered.” He noted that the company has invested in “industrywide efforts” to safeguard children.
In recent years, Meta has implemented several child safety measures, including age restrictions and parental controls.
Source: independent.co.uk