Trump anger as UK blocks raid on Iran: President ‘might sink Chagos deal’ as PM refuses use of our airbases

Donald Trump is threatening to block Labour’s Chagos Islands giveaway after being refused permission to use British bases to bomb Iran.

Diplomatic sources told the Daily Mail that Keir Starmer has warned the US President against launching any raids from Diego Garcia or RAF Fairford because of concerns it could break international law.

Officials believe the move has triggered Mr Trump’s latest attack on Sir Keir’s controversial plan to hand the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius and then lease back the Diego Garcia US/UK military base at a cost of up to £35billion over the next century. 

Mr Trump is amassing a huge armada off the coast of Iran, and yesterday warned Tehran it has ten days to reach a peace deal on its nuclear programme or ‘bad things [will] happen’.

In an angry post on social media on Wednesday night, the US President warned that Sir Keir was making a ‘big mistake’ by ‘losing control of this important island’.

He said if Iran refuses to strike a deal it ‘may be necessary’ to also use planes from Diego Garcia and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire, home to the US Air Force’s heavy bomber fleet in Europe. 

He suggested bombing raids may be needed to head off ‘potential attack’ on countries including the UK ‘by a highly unstable and dangerous regime’. 

The US armada in the Middle East has been built up over several weeks, with a second aircraft carrier now heading to the region – possibly to launch planes to protect Israel should Iran attempt to fight back.

Donald Trump is threatening to block Labour’s Chagos Islands giveaway after being refused permission to use British bases to bomb Iran 

In an explosive post on Truth Social, the US president warned The PM not to ‘give away’ or ‘lose control’ of the crucial joint US-UK military base on Diego Garcia

The USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group deployed to the Arabian Sea last month – its most recent confirmed position was 200 miles off the coast of Oman. 

The second carrier, USS Gerald R Ford, was located off the coast of Morocco on Wednesday – she has been sailing with her transponders off for most of the journey.

More than 50 US Air Force and Navy aircraft have flown to the Middle East from bases in the UK and Europe in recent weeks.

Ben Judah, Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy’s special adviser until last month, said Mr Trump’s change of heart on the Chagos Islands was ‘about the use of Diego Garcia now’, rather than a reflection on the long-term deal.

Mr Judah said the use of bases on British territory was likely to be vetoed over legal concerns.

‘Is there a legal way you could let them do it? Probably not,’ he told The Sun. ‘But then how do you manage the politics around that?’

Mr Judah, who was advising Mr Lammy at the time the Chagos deal was struck, said the agreement had been pushed hard by the previous Biden administration and the US State Department.

But asked about the deal’s prospects for survival, Mr Judah said: ‘To use hospital terminology, it’s not quite ‘Do not resuscitate’ but it’s looking tricky for the government to get this through.’

A Whitehall source said legislation to ratify the deal with Mauritius, expected next week, is likely to be ‘paused’ as ministers try to get Mr Trump back onside. 

Iran nuclear talks stalled after the recent round of negotiations in Switzerland, and the President said yesterday: ‘We may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re going to make a deal. You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days.’

Join the debate

Should the UK risk its US alliance to uphold international law over military actions against Iran?

Comment now

The interim First Minister of the Chagos Islands government called for Sir Keir to cancel the agreement, which will cost the UK taxpayer tens of billions of pounds

An aerial view of the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean 

Reports indicate that potential US targets in Iran could include its nuclear facilities, ballistic missile sites and military installations. 

Mr Trump said Iran ‘is a hotspot right now’, adding: ‘Good talks are being had. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen.’

Last night, Tory defence spokesman James Cartlidge slammed Sir Keir’s stance. ‘Iran’s nuclear programme has been a grave threat to Britain and our allies. We should grant use of our bases if and when required, including RAF bases in the UK and Diego Garcia,’ he said.

Sources said the US remains the UK’s principal defence and security partner. 

The Ministry of Defence said a ‘political process’ was ongoing between the US and Iran, supported by the UK, adding: ‘Iran must never be able to develop a nuclear weapon. Our priority is security in the region.’