A new Kenyan intelligence report has found that at least 1,000 Kenyans were recruited to fight for Russia in Ukraineafter allegedly being misled with false promises of jobs before being sent to the front lines.
The report was presented to parliament by Kimani Ichung’wah, who accused Russian embassy officials of colluding with work recruitment agencies to dupe Kenyans into believing they would be given skilled jobs in Russia.
Parliamentary leader Ichung’wah said the National Intelligence Service report shows that 89 Kenyans were on the front line, 39 were hospitalised, 28 were missing in action, others had returned home, and at least one was confirmed dead.
This comes as the European Union said it is not seeing any tangible signs from Russia of serious engagement to end the war after the latest round of peace talks in Geneva.
“We see that Russia continues its relentless attacks on Ukraine. This does reflect that Russia is not ready for peace. We still do not see tangible signs that Russia is engaging seriously in peace,” said European Commission spokesperson Anouar El Anouni.
The EU spokesperson added that “nothing can be decided about Ukraine without Europe at the negotiating table”.
Zelensky tears into Putin over Ukraine-Russia peace talks: ‘I don’t need historical s**t’
The increasingly frustrated Ukrainian president lashed out at the Russia leader in a post on X and an interview with British journalist Piers Morgan.
“I don’t need historical shit to end this war and move to diplomacy. Because it’s just a delay tactic. I read no less history books than Putin,” the Ukrainian president said in a furious post on X.
The remarks came hours after hopes of a Ukraine peace deal looked further than ever Wednesday, when critical talks with Moscow and Washington ended in less than two hours.
Russia recruits over 1,000 Kenyans to fight in Putin’s war in Ukraine, intelligence report says
A new Kenyan intelligence report says that 1,000 Kenyans were recruited to fight for Russia in Ukraine after being misled with false promises of jobs in Russia before being sent to the front lines.
The report was presented to parliament on Wednesday by parliamentary leader Kimani Ichung’wah, who accused Russian embassy officials of colluding with work recruitment agencies to dupe Kenyans into believing they would be given skilled jobs in Russia. He said the Russian embassy officials issued them tourist visas.
The Russian Embassy in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, denied the allegations, saying in a statement Thursday that it never issued visas to anyone intending to travel to Russia to fight in Ukraine. It added: “the Russian Federation does not preclude citizens of foreign countries from voluntarily enlisting in the armed forces.”
Russia demands proof Navalny was poisoned
Russia’s foreign ministry spokesperson has demanded that European nations accusing Russia of poisoning Alexei Navalany provide evidence.
“All the accusations against Russia were of the ‘highly likely’ variety. There were no specific details,” said Maria Zakharova.
“It was purely a proclamation to become the opening act of the Munich (security) conference and to overshadow the Epstein files.”
Britain, France, Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands said on Saturday that analyses of samples from Navalny’s body had confirmed the presence of epibatidine, a toxin found in poison dart frogs in South America and not found naturally in Russia.
We’re close to ceasefire-monitoring document, says Zelensky
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky says Russia and Ukraine are close to having a document establishing how any ceasefire to end the war would be monitored, following peace talks in Geneva.
Speaking on Piers Morgan Uncensored, Zelensky said that progress on political issues had been slower and that the country’s leaders could try to hammer out a deal among themselves over the most divisive issue of land.
Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant operating on sole remaining main power line, says IAEA
The Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in southeastern Ukraine is operating on its sole remaining outside power line after losing a backup line more than a week ago, the UN’s nuclear watchdog said.
In a statement, Rafael Grossi, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said the Ferrosplavna-1 electric line went down on 10 February “reportedly as a result of military activity”.
The plant, Europe’s largest with six reactors, was now operating with outside power only from the Dniprovska power line, he said.
The plant, captured by Russian forces in the first weeks of Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine, generates no electricity but needs power to keep nuclear material cool and prevent a meltdown.
Grossi said IAEA monitors permanently assigned to Zaporizhzhia were trying to obtain information on the damage, but security restrictions prevented them from gaining access to the plant’s switchyard.
“The IAEA stands ready to accurately report on the nature of the damage and any impact on nuclear safety and security,” Grossi said.
Control of the plant is a key point in negotiations between Ukraine and Russia over a settlement to the nearly four-year-old conflict.
One dead in Ukrainian attack on Sevastopol in Crimea
Ukrainian drones attacked the port of Sevastopol in Russian-annexed Crimea, killing one person, the regional governor said in the early hours today.
Mikhail Razvozhayev said air defence units had intercepted 16 Ukrainian drones.
He said several high-rise apartments and private homes had been damaged in the attack.
Zelensky says further steps on peace talks will be determined in meeting today
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky has said he is set to hold a peace talks discussion with the members of his negotiating team after talks in Switzerland.
“Today all members of our negotiating group will already be in Ukraine, and for tomorrow I have scheduled a special meeting with them regarding our next steps and decisions. There will be a report here in Kyiv on those aspects of the negotiations that should not be discussed over the phone. We will also define the further framework of talks with our partners – the American side, the Europeans – and with the Russian side,” he said.
Russian attacks on Ukraine’s fuel and energy company tripled in 2025
Russian forces attacked Ukraine’s leading state-owned fuel and energy company Naftogaz Group three times more than its previous years’ strikes, the company said in a statement.
“The scale of attacks in 2025 was unprecedented in terms of the scale of attacks on our infrastructure,” Serhiy Koretskyi, CEO of Naftogaz Ukraine, said in a statement.
Russia attacked the energy company at least 229 times last year.
“Despite this, we are providing the country with gas and maintaining the stability of the energy system,” he said.
Poland ends special refugee support system for Ukrainians
Polish president Karol Nawrocki has approved a legislation calling for an end to support measures for Ukrainian refugees entering Poland and moved help into the country’s general law for protection of foreigners seeking refuge.
The earlier legal framework was created when Russia launched a full-scale invasion on Ukraine in February 2022 and offered simplified residence, employment, access to social benefits, and education for Ukrainians fleeing the war.
“I sign this law with the conviction that it protects our state finances, streamlines the system, and restores a sense of basic justice,” Karol Nawrocki said.
These provisions will now incorporate Ukrainians into a broader foreigner protection legislation and will create a unified temporary protection system that apply to all foreigners.
However, Poland will continue to extend the legal stay of Ukrainian nationals on their territory till 4 March, 2027.
The law also offers residency rights for Ukrainians already granted protection or whose documents were extended due to the war.
Ukraine officials to boycott games in protest over Russia’s participation
Ukrainian officials are poised to boycott the upcoming Milano Cortina Paralympics next month, protesting the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes competing under their national flags.
Ukraine‘s sports minister Matvii Bidnyi confirmed on Wednesday that while Ukrainian athletes will still take part in the 6-15 March games, no official representatives from Ukraine will attend the opening ceremony or any other event.
It comes after the International Paralympic Committee’s (IPC) decision on Tuesday, which cleared a combined total of 10 para-athletes from Russia and Belarus to compete.
Six slots have been handed to Russia and four to Belarus.
Source: independent.co.uk