Conor Benn walks out on Eddie Hearn as boxing boss says ‘I misjudged character and loyalty’

Conor Benn has confirmed his bombshell exit from Matchroom Boxing to join Zuffa Boxing in a reported ‘eight-figure’ deal, with Eddie Hearn admitting he was left ‘devastated’ by the boxer’s decision

View 5 Images

(Image: Getty Images)

Eddie Hearn has admitted he was left gutted by Conor Benn quitting Matchroom Boxing to join UFC chief Dana White’s Zuffa Boxing in a massive ‘eight-figure’ deal.

As reported by Sports Illustrated journalist Chris Mannix, Benn has signed a “one-fight, eight-figure deal” with the promotion and “will fight before May 31”. The announcement has sent shockwaves through the boxing and combat sports world, with Benn – who earned worldwide fame with his two fights against Chris Eubank Junior – becoming Zuffa’s second major acquisition, following cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia.

Benn and Eubank Jr were originally set to fight in 2022 but the bout was called off when Benn failed a voluntary drugs test – twice testing positive for the banned substance Clomifene. Hearn was by his side during a two-year battle with authorities, before the British fighter’s suspension was lifted in November 2024 and he returned to the sport.

JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page

He finally fought Eubank Jr in April 2025, when he lost for the first time in his professional boxing career in a thrilling clash, before winning a rematch in November. But now the 29-year-old has decided to leave Matchroom, with Hearn – who learned of Benn’s decision via email from the fighter’s lawyer – saying he made a “mistake” in trusting Benn because he “misjudged his character”.

“I’ve known about this for a few days now,” Hearn told iFL TV, reports the Mirror. “I received an email from Conor Benn’s lawyer to make me aware of it. I’m not going to sit here and hang Conor Benn out to dry, I’ll be honest with you, me personally, pretty devastated.

“I’ve had a few days to digest what might happen. Maybe this interview is different to what it would have been a couple of days ago, it’s not often you get shocked, I blame myself, because I forgot it was boxing.

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings

“I just felt that the loyalty that we’ve shown would never ever put us in this position. I felt I never really needed to push Conor Benn to sign a new contract previously and I probably could have done. I blame myself, I made a mistake. I misjudged the character.”

Benn recognised Hearn’s impact in his statement confirming his departure from Matchroom, with the promoter having previously praised Benn as “a true role model and an inspiration” following his victory over Eubank Jnr. Nevertheless, Benn maintained the Zuffa offer was impossible to reject, while leaving the door open for Hearn to continue as part of his team.

“First and foremost, I want to thank Eddie and the entire team at Matchroom for everything they’ve done for me over the past decade,” Benn wrote in a statement.

“From guiding me when I first turned pro, to headlining stadium shows. They were not only with me for those highlightmoments but stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times.

“It’s been a journey beyond anything we could have imagined, and for their belief, support, and guidance, I will always be truly grateful, but Zuffa Boxing presented me with an opportunity I simply couldn’t refuse. I’d love Eddie to continue to be part of my team and for our partnership to evolve in this new chapter.

“I’m filled with excitement and hunger for what’s ahead with Zuffa Boxing. I want the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. I fear no man at any weight, and I’m ready to give the fans the fights they’ve been calling for. I’m in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans”.

Zuffa Boxing is spearheaded by White working alongside Saudi government official Turki Alalshikh, who has been pivotal in the Gulf state’s rapidly expanding boxing footprint. The American has already made clear that he aims to make Zuffa’s belts the premier world titles in the sport, rather than the traditional four straps – WBO, WBC, IBF and WBA.

And the UFC chief has dismissed Hearn’s significance to boxing, confident he can breathe fresh life into the sport. White said: “I don’t think anybody looks at Eddie Hearn and says: ‘Oh, this guy’s a visionary.’

“The guy’s been in boxing forever, I look at him like most politicians. You’ve done nothing in this sport except stay in the lane and play by all the rules and ride right along with what’s been… You ended up becoming part of the problem, is what’s happened.

Article continues below

“And I don’t wanna sit here and smash Eddie Hearn or anything, but Eddie Hearn works for his dad, you know what I mean? He works for dad. I don’t think he’s come in and had any type of vision, whereas we do, and we’re gonna change the entire sport.”

Dana WhiteEddie HearnFacebook