Will Charles cowl his brother Andrew’s authorized invoice? Bizarre twist means the King may fund case in opposition to Crown

The King may be forced to foot the legal bill for his brother’s defence following his dramatic arrest.

Charles is adamant that no cost should fall on the public purse as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor faces allegations of misconduct in public office.

Insiders say while it is ‘hoped and expected’ the former prince would find most, if not all, the money himself, the monarch is ‘determined’ that no taxpayers’ money should be used in terms of legal aid, if the situation comes to it.

It could theoretically bring about a situation where Andrew, should he eventually be charged, would appear in a court administering justice in the name of the King, with the monarch privately picking up the tab.

Since the ex-prince agreed to be stripped of his titles and leave Royal Lodge last autumn, it is believed the King has, with the ‘heaviest of hearts’, re-instated his brother’s annual stipend from his personal fortune and funded his move to Sandringham. He had stopped the allowance previously paid by his late mother, Queen Elizabeth, in a bid to ‘smoke’ Andrew out of Windsor.

Sources have suggested the former Duke of York has very little in the way of personal funds, and reports that he has been living on family ‘bequests’ are wide of the mark. One insider remarked dryly last night that Andrew is ‘not currently a man of limitless resources’.

They stressed that no discussions have yet taken place about how Andrew is going to find the money to fund his defence team.

It may even be the case there are constitutional complications for the King in helping out his brother for a case prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service.

The King may be forced to foot the legal bill for his brother’s defence following his dramatic arrest. Pictured: Charles attends the first day of London Fashion Week on Thursday

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor leaves Aylsham Police Station after he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

‘This is all yet to be determined,’ they said. However they confirmed that Charles is also resolute that, as in all aspects of his disgraced brother’s life, the costs of defending himself should not be a burden on the state.

A source said: ‘Everything is yet to be determined but foremost in the King’s thinking is that [Andrew] shouldn’t be a burden on the state or any third party.

‘In a world of imperfect outcomes, it’s the least imperfect outcome.’

Buckingham Palace was yesterday still reeling from Andrew’s sudden arrest at Wood Farm, his temporary Sandringham home. The King was not informed by police in advance of the raid. Officials have re-iterated the King’s historic and deeply personal message on the matter yesterday, in which he expressed his ‘deepest concern’ at the turn of events and his ‘full and wholehearted support and cooperation’ for the ‘full, fair and proper process’ of investigation.

Charles said starkly: ‘Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.’ While insiders acknowledge these are challenging times, there is a determination ‘not to flinch’ and get ‘cracking on with the job’.

This includes a slew of public engagements in the coming weeks, hosting a state visit from the President of Nigeria next month and a politically-delicate state visit to the US in April.

Palace officials say they will not offer a ‘running commentary’ on the ongoing criminal investigation but re-iterated their willingness to cooperate.

‘It’s a difficult time but [it is hoped] there is a public awareness that, in the difficult world we find ourselves in, the King has behaved with tremendous leadership, foresight and judgement,’ a source said. ‘Mostly people seem to understand that at the heart of this lies a

King trying to do the right thing, in the right way, at the right time.’

Another added: ‘It is a very difficult situation for them as a family and as an institution. The King is a man who thinks deeply and feels powerfully, and he has thought and felt on the situation and taken the appropriate action at the appropriate time.’

Princess Anne epitomised her brother’s ‘keep calm and carry on’ mantra as she continued with her public engagements on Friday in Sheffield. She did not respond when a reporter shouted: ‘Your Royal Highness, how do you feel about your brother’s arrest?’.