UKHSA chief scientific officer, Professor Robin May said the meningitis strain sweeping Kent may have evolved to be better at transmitting as cases continue to rise
A deadly strain of meningitis that has struck Kent may be more infectious than previous versions of the disease, experts fear. The strain of meningitis B – which has been linked to 27 confirmed or suspected cases and two deaths in the region, could have “got better at transmitting.”
Professor Robin May, UKHSA chief scientific officer, said on Thursday “this is a very unusual outbreak”, adding experts were looking at why meningitis in these cases may have become more transmissible between people.
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Prof May said: “Typically, you would expect to see sporadic cases of meningitis, typically individual patients. Most days, actually, we would see one in the UK.
“What is particularly remarkable about this case, and unexpected about this case, is the large number of cases all originating from what seems to be a single event.
“There are two possible reasons for that. One is that there might be something about the kind of behaviours that individual people are doing.
“The other possibility is the bacteria itself may have evolved to be better at transmitting.”
Prof May said the bacteria which can cause meningitis can be transmitted by sharing utensils, cups and vapes.
It comes as more than 100 students in Kent have been turned away while trying to get a meningitis vaccine after officials closed the queue.
The University of Kent said it had closed the vaccine queue on its Canterbury campus “due to capacity” because it needed to finish the clinic by 5pm.
Earlier on Thursday, Health Secretary Wes Streeting said more people affected by the meningitis outbreak will be vaccinated.
Mr Streeting said anyone who attended local venue Club Chemistry from March 5 until March 15 would be offered the jab, alongside sixth-formers at four schools and other university students in Canterbury.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said that as of 5pm on Wednesday, 15 cases of meningitis have been confirmed and a further 12 are under investigation.
This takes the total to 27 cases of either confirmed or suspected meningitis, up from 20 on Wednesday. Two students have died in the outbreak. Currently, nine of the 15 confirmed cases are known to be caused by menB.
On a visit to the University of Kent, Mr Streeting said: “We are now encouraging anyone who attended Club Chemistry from March 5 until it voluntarily closed to come forward for both antibiotics and vaccination.
“Furthermore, we’re expanding vaccination to anyone who’s previously been offered the prophylactic antibiotic. That will include a large number of students here at the University of Kent.
“And it will include some students at Canterbury Christchurch University. It will also include sixth-formers at four schools where there are known or suspected cases.
“These are proportionate steps to help us contain spread and we’re keeping that situation under review.”
The UKHSA said all patients eligible for antibiotics will now be able to request a vaccination and antibiotics “from their local GP immediately – wherever they are in England”. This covers students who have travelled home.
More than 8,500 antibiotics and 1,600 vaccines have been now given to eligible people in Kent amid the meningitis outbreak.