Donald Trump says God would approve of the US battle in Iran as he doubles down on risk

Speaking on Easter Monday, Donald Trump insisted he is “not at all” concerned about committing possible war crimes as he again threatened to destroy Iran’s bridges and power plants

View 2 Images

Donald Trump believes God would approve of the US war in Iran(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Unhinged Donald Trump believes God would approve of the US war in Iran — as he doubled down on his threat to bomb the nation “into the Stone Age”.

The US President, 79, discussed the latest on the US-Israeli military operation ahead of a Tuesday deadline to open the Strait of Hormuz. If this isn’t met, Mr Trump has warned he will decimate “every bridge and power plant” in Iran.

When asked if he thought God would approve of the conflict, the world leader told reporters: “I do.” He added: “God doesn’t like what’s happening. I don’t like what’s happening. Everyone says I enjoy this. I don’t enjoy this. I don’t enjoy it.”

Speaking at a packed press conference on Easter Monday, Mr Trump refused to back down on his threat to commit potential war crimes. Israel and the United States carried out a wave of attacks on Iran on Monday, killing more than 25 people. Iran responded with missile fire on Israel and its Gulf Arab neighbours.

READ MORE: Donald Trump branded ‘immoral’ over threats to bomb Iran’s bridges and power plantsREAD MORE: Donald Trump ‘will go ballistic’ if King Charles scraps visit – and he’ll blame one person

The US President had been branded “immoral” for his chilling threat. Dame Emily Thornberry, who chairs the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee, told The Mirror: “Donald Trump has said that the only thing that constrains him is his own morality and that international law doesn’t apply to him.

“Clearly he does not think it is immoral to attack civilian infrastructure that is necessary for life. Not only is he wrong about that, it is immoral, but it would also be unlawful under the Geneva Convention and the law applies to everyone.” The President’s threat comes just days after US-Israeli air strikes destroyed Iran’s tallest bridge, killing eight people.”

But Mr Trump doubled down today, giving Iran until Tuesday at 8pm ET (midnight in the UK) to stop blocking the Strait of Hormuz. Iranians are currently blocking oil ships there, which is driving up gas prices domestically and internationally.

Article continues below

Speaking at the press conference, Mr Trump said they are “going to have no bridges, they are going to have no power plants,” and described the potential destruction as the “stone ages.” He continued: “I mean complete demolition.”

And the politician, who is a father of five, refused to say whether any civilian targets would be off-limits. However, Mojtaba Ferdousi Pour, head of the Iranian diplomatic mission in Cairo, said: “We only accept an end of the war with guarantees that we won’t be attacked again.”

Donald TrumpIranMiddle East warWar crimes