Health Secretary Wes Streeting refused to say whether the US would be carrying out a war crime if it followed through with threats to attack power plants and bridges in Iran
The UK has not received a request to help the US with strikes on power plants and bridges in Iran as Donald Trump’s deadline looms.
The US president has given Tehran until 1am on Wednesday UK time to end its blockade of the Strait of Hormuz – a key shipping route – or be bombed “back to the Stone Ages”.
The i Paper reported overnight that Britain is expected to refuse to allow Mr Trump access to RAF bases for any strikes on Iranian bridges or power plants. Keir Starmer has previously approved US use of British bases, but only for defensive purposes.
The UK assesses all requests from the US on a case by case basis. The Mirror understands that no request has been received from the US in relation to strikes on power plants and bridges. The i Paper was told the UK would deny a US request to use UK bases for such operations.
Cabinet minister Wes Streeting said Keir Starmer has been “vindicated” for his judgement in keeping Britain out of the war in Iran as the deadline for Mr Trump’s threats approaches.
READ MORE: UK government ‘wouldn’t use’ Donald Trump’s language after sweary Iran rant
The Health Secretary refused to say whether the US would be carrying out a war crime if it followed through with threats to attack Iran’s civilian infrastructure, including power plants and bridges. He reiterated that the UK will not “get involved” in the war in Iran.
Mr Streeting said: “There has not been a single day that has passed in this war with Iran where I have not felt that the Prime Minister has been entirely vindicated for his judgement in keeping Britain out of the war.”
Asked if the US would be committing a war crime if it carries out threat, he continued: “It’s not my judgement to make, but it’s for the US to justify its actions. The British government, the Prime Minister, has been clear that we would not get involved in this war in Iran.
“We wanted the diplomatic process that was well underway to be given more time and there are very few British Prime Ministers alive today who I think would have shown the same level-headed judgement as our prime minister.”
He went on to criticise the flip-flopping position of Tory leader Kemi Badenoch and Reform UK leader Nigel Farage, who he said “would have jumped straight into this war with Iran” He continued: “Then they came crawling right back again when they realised how unpopular it was – doing the kind of political equivalent the Hokey Cokey in the middle of an international crisis.
“Thank goodness we have a Prime Minister who shows much better judgement, level-headed reasoning, and has, I think, made a judgment many of his predecessors would not have done, for which he deserves enormous credit.”
Britain will today host a meeting of allied military officers to discuss plans for securing the Strait of Hormuz as Mr Trump’s deadline for Iran to reopen the waterway looms. Tehran is blockading the narrow sea passage out of the Persian Gulf, where some 20% of the world’s oil ordinarily passes through each day.
At a press conference on Monday, Mr Trump reiterated his threat to attack Iran’s civilian infrastructure, dismissing the suggestion that such actions would constitute a war crime.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “The UK authorised the United States to use British bases for defensive missions to destroy Iran’s missile capabilities which are threatening British people, bases, and our partners in the region.
“The United States is using British bases for specific defensive operations to prevent Iran firing missiles into the region, which is putting British lives at risk. This is alongside the defensive action the UK is taking to protect British people across the region. We won’t be providing a running commentary on our allies’ operations, including their use of our bases.”