Andrew Files: Late Queen was ‘very keen’ to provide Andrew a ‘outstanding’ commerce function

Ministers agreed in February to publish documents related to his appointment to the post, which gave him access to senior government and business contacts around the world

View 2 Images

There is no evidence Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was vetted before taking the trade envoy role(Image: PA)

The late Queen was “very keen” for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to take on a “prominent role in the promotion of national interests”, sensational new documents claim.

In a memo addressed to Robin Cook dated February 25 2000, then-chief executive of British Trade International Sir David Wright said Queen Elizabeth II’s “wish” had been for the now-disgraced royal to take on the job.

The former ambassador said he had a “wide-ranging discussion” with the Queen’s private secretary before proposing a “suitable role” be identified for her son, who was then serving in the Royal Navy.

Ministers agreed in February to publish documents related to his appointment to the post, which gave him access to senior government and business contacts around the world.

Speaking as the documents were released, Trade minister Chris Bryant claimed there was “no evidence” Mr Mountbatten-Windsor had been vetted before the appointment. The former Duke of York faces accusations of sharing sensitive information with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein while acting as a special representative for trade and investment between 2001 and 2011.

READ MORE: Andrew files live: Late Queen ‘very keen’ for son to become trade envoy – but he was told to stop golfingREAD MORE: Shock boost for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor as locals fight to keep street named after ex-prince

Sir David suggested the role would include some regional trips and two or three overseas visits each year, as well as a “leading trade mission from time to time”. He said: “The Queen’s wish is that the Duke of Kent should be succeeded in this role by the Duke of York. The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests. No other member of The Royal Family would be available to succeed the Duke of Kent. The Duke of York’s adoption of his role would seem a natural fit.”

The senior official said he “did not envisage that the Duke of York would want to be burdened with the regularity of meetings of the board of British Trade International or the burden of paper which goes along with the board membership”. He added: “We would nonetheless ensure that he was kept in touch with board developments and issues.”

‘Preferred more sophisticated countries’

The documents also reveal the disgraced royal preferred “more sophisticated countries”. In a letter from Kathryn Colvin, Head of the Protocol Division letter, it says: “I asked what The Duke’s preferences were for activity during his visits. Captain Blair said that The Duke of York was particularly good on high-tech matters, trade, youth (including primary schools and outward bound projects), cultural events, with a preference for ballet rather than theatre, the Commonwealth and military and foreign affairs. He tended to prefer the more sophisticated countries, particularly those in the lead on technology.”

There were also warnings that he should not play golf in public. They said: “Captain Blair particularly asked that The Duke of York should not be offered golfing functions abroad. This was a private activity and if he took his clubs with him he would not play in any public sense.”

Lack of vetting fears

Publishing the documents, Mr Bryant raised concerns about a lack of vetting for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor. He said: “We have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken. There is also no evidence that this was considered. This is understandable since this new appointment was a continuation of the Royal Family’s involvement in trade and investment promotion work following the Duke of Kent’s decision to relinquish his duties as Vice-Chairman of the Overseas Trade Board.”

Responding to the publication, Liberal Democrat Chief Whip Wendy Chamberlain MP said: “It is shocking and deeply troubling that Andrew was appointed to the trade envoy role with no vetting. Nobody should be above such standards. This raises serious questions about why officials and ministers at the time thought that was acceptable.

“The lack of documentation provided is itself concerning, as is the time it has taken to get this far. We must get the full files from government without delay, and an explanation about why there is such a small paper trail. And the Government must commit to mandatory vetting for all similar appointments in future.

“The victims and survivors of Jeffrey Epstein, and the justice they have been denied for years, are foremost in our minds as this continues. We must have a full public inquiry into Epstein, his links to the British establishment, and the abuse he and his associates perpetrated against women and girls here in the UK.”

His decision to quit the role came in the same year he was pictured with his arm around his primary accuser, Virginia Giuffre, who said she was trafficked to the former duke at the home of convicted sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell.

Article continues below

Ms Giuffre claimed she had sex with the former prince three times – at Maxwell’s home in London, at Epstein’s New York townhouse and on the disgraced financier’s Caribbean island, Little St James.

Andrew was arrested in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office and later released under investigation. The former prince has denied any wrongdoing.

Politics