Five teenagers were killed and four people were seriously injured in the M9 motorway crash in Co Kildare, after Gardai were reportedly instructed not to pursue the stolen vehicle
Gardaí were told not to chase a stolen vehicle travelling in the wrong direction on a motorway before a devastating fatal head-on collision with another car – because they aren’t actually trained to do so.
Five teenagers, all passengers in one of the vehicles, tragically died and four people were seriously hurt in the crash on the M9 motorway in Co Kildare during the early hours of Sunday morning. A child is among those critically injured.
Two days after the incident stunned Ireland, the teenage boys were identified as Jeremy O’Brien, 18, from Carlow; Alex McCarthy, 17, from Carlow; Joey Carthy, 15, from Athy, Kildare; Jack Kennedy, 17, also from Athy; and Kamil Pustkowski, 17, from Limerick.
The Garda Representative Association (GRA) said its members were “all in shock” following the “horrific incident”.
On Monday, GRA vice-president John Joe O’Connell said: “This involved a stolen BMW that drove – trying to evade gardaí – drove the wrong way down the M9 and then a head-on collision occurred with this car of a family heading to Dublin Airport on holidays for a few days.”
Mr O’Connell disclosed that the BMW had earlier refused to stop for gardaí and that he understood instructions were issued not to engage with the vehicle as it travelled in the wrong direction down the M9.
When asked if this was the norm, he told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland radio programme: “It would be standard practice, and the command and control centre would be dictating what happens in a live environment – but the members in the cars have to make a split-second decision.”
Mr O’Connell noted there were “numerous gangs” of lads and young men “trying to outdo each other” in social media videos featuring interactions with Gardaí, chases and driving the wrong way.
He said: “Our members are not going to follow down that route – we’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t, that way.”
The representative from Kildare stated that the GRA did not “know what the exact answer is” to address the problem, but added: “There’s not one member of An Garda Síochána trained in pursuit – never mind in dealing with cars going down the wrong way.”
Mr O’Connell highlighted that gardaí also face internal penalties, disciplinary action and potential criminal charges when they choose to engage in pursuits. He mentioned that garda vehicles have also been targeted by stolen cars.
Mr O’Connell emphasised the need to “look at the sentences” when these cases appear in court, criticising those involved in wrong-way driving as “playing Russian roulette with their lives and everyone else’s lives”.
He encouraged parents to discuss with their sons the possible repercussions of getting into a stolen car “for the craic and the clicks”.
Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly has labelled the head-on collision between junctions 3 and 4 as “horrific” and cautioned that “in some cases” vehicles are being driven on the wrong side of motorways for social media likes.
The previous weekend, nine individuals were injured in a head-on collision on the M50 in Dublin involving a car travelling in the wrong direction on the motorway.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.