Man Utd January switch ‘guarantee’ made as Ruben Amorim makes private emotions recognized
Kobbie Mainoo has struggled for regular minutes at Manchester United this season and could be set for a loan move away from Old Trafford in the January transfer window
As the January transfer window approaches, a potential exit route for Kobbie Mainoo from Manchester United has come to light. Mainoo was strongly rumoured to be leaving United during the summer transfer window.
However, despite the speculation and his own desire for regular play, the United midfielder remained at Old Trafford.
Under former manager Erik ten Hag, Mainoo enjoyed a successful breakthrough season but has found regular playing time hard to come by under Ruben Amorim’s management.
READ MORE: Wayne Rooney backtracks on Virgil van Dijk clash as Man Utd icon retracts ‘unfair’ remarkREAD MORE: Man Utd chief Sir Jim Ratcliffe agrees £11m payment to Tottenham after claim
So far this season, Mainoo has made eight appearances for United but hasn’t started a single Premier League match. His only start was in the Carabao Cup defeat to Grimsby Town back in September.
Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has offered an update on Mainoo’s future, suggesting a January move could be on the horizon. On the Here We Go podcast, Romano claimed that Mainoo is open to a loan deal until the end of the season.
West Ham, who are currently battling relegation, are said to be interested in Mainoo, with suggestions that Nuno Espirito Santo’s side would ‘guarantee’ the midfielder a regular place in their starting line-up.
Napoli have also been named as a possible destination for Mainoo, which could see a link up with former United star Scott McTominay and ex-Man City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne.
Amorim recently discussed Mainoo’s limited game time this season, explaining his hopes for the Reds’ campaign that would have allowed the midfielder more opportunities on the pitch.
“I see Kobbie Mainoo training today, and he deserves to play,” said Amorim during an interview with beIN Sports. “But then I have to take one guy [out] that is playing really well.
“We should have played yesterday in the Carabao Cup, because I need to see Kobbie Mainoo playing, I need to see Josh [Zirkzee]. All these guys deserve to play, but in the end, with one game [a week], you need to make choices.
“So you have both sides, but we are taking advantage of the good side of not playing in the middle of the week.”
Mainoo’s next opportunity to feature for United will be on Saturday when Amorim and Co will take on Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League in the lunchtime kick-off.
Amorim left Mainoo as an unused substitute in the draw with Nottingham Forest in the Premier League last weekend, with the 20-year-old playing a total of 138 minutes across his seven cameo appearances.
