London24NEWS

UK’s ‘most harmful unlawful waste dump’ is on land partially owned by King Charles

The controversial 25,000 ton mountain of rubbish is on a site in Wigan with around a third on land owned by the Duchy of Lancaster, but no one is appearing to take responsibility

Britain’s “most dangerous illegal waste dump” appears to sit on land that partly belongs to the King. The shocking relevation comes as horrifying photos reveal thousands of black refuse bags filled with waste, including nappies, as well as toxic chemicals and plastics, scattered across the area.

Local residents have seen a steady stream of lorries bringing rubbish to the plot. This has created waste piles as high as 20 metres over the course of several months starting in January 2025, growing to weigh 25,000 tonnes.

Around one-third of the territory belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster, part of the monarch’s vast private collection of properties and estates.

However, the Duchy of Lancaster is exempt from regulations and obligations to clear the dump due to an archaic feudal legal structure from 750 years ago. The Duchy insists that responsibility for the clean-up rests with Wigan Council.

Should the Duchy transfer the polluted land to Wigan Council, it would be giving taxpayers a clean-up bill running into several million pounds. The Duchy argues it bears no responsibility for the property under “escheat” law, although on Monday (January 26) news emerged that “the Duchy would be prepared to discuss with Wigan Council these matters”.

It’s also suggested that the refusal to act goes against the Environment Agency’s own guidance that landowners are liable for removing illegal waste from their premises. A spokesperson for the Duchy said: “It is incorrect to say that the illegal waste dump in Bickershaw near Wigan is on land largely owned by the Duchy of Lancaster; approximately 70% of the illegal tipping site is owned by other parties.

“The minority remainder vested to the Duchy from its previous owner in July 2025 under a process known as escheat. At this point The Duchy contacted Wigan Council to seek a resolution, and we remain fully committed to working with the local community and relevant agencies to address this issue and to counter the impact of illegal waste tipping.”

The spokesperson further explained that the “minority holding” — approximately 30 per cent — was previously owned by a now-dissolved company. It has now emerged that the Environment Agency faces restrictions in its authority unless the Duchy chooses to act.

Where land is deemed “burdensome”, escheat law means the Duchy isn’t obliged to take on any responsibilities tied to the property; the Wigan location falls under this classification. Regarding the Duchy’s proposal to hand over the land to Wigan Council, the authority indicated it “would need to consider the terms of any arrangement” given that the land’s worth would likely fall short of remediation expenses.

They added: “As one of the impacted landowners, we are making efforts to clear our land and we continue to implore all other impacted landowners to take the necessary steps to fulfil their own obligations.” One local resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, commented: “It’s absolutely horrible here.

“For about three weeks in January, there were 20 to 30 18-wheel articulated lorries full of waste going to the yard, the scrap having been moved to fields nearby, and it just piled higher and higher. Eventually the site was so full that the deliveries became a trickle.

“We were told this is just a ‘transfer station’ and it would soon be moved to the correct location, but nothing was; in fact they pushed the waste further to back to pile it even higher to get even more rubbish in.” A spokesperson for Wigan Council said: “Wigan Council fully understands the impact the illegal waste site at Bolton House Road has had, and continues to have, on local residents.

Article continues below

“As one of the impacted landowners, we are making efforts to clear our land and we continue to implore all other impacted landowners to take the necessary steps to fulfil their own obligations.”

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.