Mystery of three sisters discovered lifeless on Brighton seashore – all of the questions remaining
Mystery still surrounds the tragic deaths of three sisters pulled from the sea in Brighton. Sisters Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, from the Uxbridge area of west London, died last Wednesday in a “terrible tragedy”, Sussex Police said.
Dad Joseph said: “No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives. Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.”
The sisters were named as police revealed they had not yet been able to establish how the women died. A number of questions remain unanswered about their death.
Where were they last seen?
Police say hundreds of hours of CCTV footage have been reviewed and inquiries made to businesses and properties around the beach area to try to track the women’s last movements.
The women were pulled from the water off Brighton beach at around 5.45am on Wednesday, May 14. But it is not known when they were last seen alive.
Cops have asked anyone with information to come forward, particularly anyone who saw the sisters around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on May 12 and 5.30am May 13.
Where had they been?
It is not known why the sisters, from the Uxbridge area of London, were in Brighton. The city is famed for its nightlife and waterfront bars and revellers from nearby clubs are said to spill out onto the beach after closing time in the early hours of morning.
But police have not said why the sisters had been in Brighton together. And they have not confirmed what the sisters were wearing or what personal items were found.
Why were they in the water?
Police said they were first called to concern for a single person in the water near Black Rocks car park in Madeira Drive at around 5.45am on May 13. On arrival, two more bodies were sadly recovered from the sea nearby.
The beach was closed off for more than 12 hours while police investigated the scene. However, it is not clear how they entered the water or why they got into difficulty.
Sussex Police said there is no evidence to suggest criminality or that anyone else was involved, but specialist detectives are working to gather the full facts and circumstances around their deaths.
Chief Superintendent Adam Hays said the force “will leave no stone unturned” in the investigation to understand what led to the “tragic events of that Wednesday morning”.
He said: “The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss,” he said.
“This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
