Disgraced Peter Mandelson seems glum as he breaks cowl after ex-prince Andrew’s arrest
Police are investigating allegations that both Andy and Mandy committed misconduct in a public office by sharing sensitive information with the sex offender while they worked for the UK government
A glum-looking Lord Peter Mandelson has been seen for the first time since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
The shamed peer, who stepped down in disgrace from his role as US ambassador over his ties to dead paedo financier Jeffrey Epstein, cut a sad-looking figure as he left his home in Wiltshire, which was searched by cops earlier this month.
It is the first time he had been seen since Andrew was held in police custody over allegations he shared confidential material with Epstein during his role as UK trade envoy – a role it has emerged Mandelson said he was “well qualified” for.
Mandelson reportedly helped secure the job of UK trade envoy for the ex-Duke, against the wishes of his brother King Charles.
The move was controversial because Andrew already had a reputation for using his status to travel the world playing golf and was dubbed the “Playboy Prince”. The then-Prince Charles even expressed concerns about Andrew’s suitability for the role.
But the late Queen Elizabeth II overruled him with backing from the former trade secretary Mandelson, who knew of Andrew after they worked together on an NSPCC campaign. In 2000, both men were guests at the wedding of the Rothschilds.
The Telegraph reports that when concerns about Andrew’s trade role were raised in 2001, Lord Mandelson said: “As a former trade secretary, I know of the great importance of trade missions.
“With a royal association, they can achieve a reach into overseas foreign markets which is of immense value to the economy of the country. In that context, the Duke of York will have a very important role, for which he is well qualified.
“This activity on behalf of the nation should not be confused with the commercial activities for personal gain which is associated with certain other members of the Royal family.”
Andrew’s arrest on Thursday came after Mandelson himself faced allegations of misconduct in public office after emails relating to Epstein emerged, sparking a police probe into whether he passed on sensitive information when he was business secretary.
Detectives from the Metropolitan Police’s specialist crime team carried out raids on two properties linked to the former Labour grandee. The force confirmed that the raids were part of its ongoing investigation into allegations of misconduct in public office.
Lord Mandelson was not arrested, but officers were seen removing files, documents and computers from the properties, in Wiltshire and the Regent’s Park area of central London.
At the time, deputy assistant commissioner Hayley Sewart said: “This will be a complex investigation, requiring a significant amount of further evidence gathering and analysis. It will take some time to do this work comprehensively.”
The scandal engulfing Mandelson saw Morgan McSweeney quit as Sir Keir Starmer’s chief of staff after he admitted he advised the PM to appoint Mandelson as Britain’s ambassador to the US and that decision “was wrong”.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
