London24NEWS

Sky News pressured to apologise as Emily Thornberry drops f-word in Olly Robbins listening to

Emily Thornberry was chairing the Foreign Affairs Select Committee, which was hearing evidence from sacked senior civil servant Olly Robbins on the Peter Mandelson vetting controversy, when she let slip the f-word live on Sky News

Emily Thornberry used some choice language while sacked senior civil servant Olly Robbins was giving evidence regarding Peter Mandelson’s vetting controversy in the House of Commons.

Sky News, which was broadcasting the hearing live, was compelled to apologise to viewers after Thornberry dropped the f-word.

The incident occurred after Robbins was questioned by Liberal Democrat Richard Foord, who stated: “Morgan McSweeney, the former Chief of Staff, rang Sir Philip [Barton] and said in terms stronger than those that I can use before the watershed…”

Thornberry then interjected, saying: “I think you should.” A flustered Foord responded: “Well, I will just say that it was, ‘Just to prove it’ with terms stronger than that. Does that accord with your impression of when you took over from Sir Philip?”

Thornberry was subsequently heard saying: “Just f**king approve it.”

READ MORE: Peter Mandelson scandal LIVE: Sacked Olly Robbins makes dramatic ‘job for Starmer aide’ claimREAD MORE: Sir Olly Robbins grilled on Mandelson mistakes – 13 things we learned

Addressing his predecessor Philip Barton, Robbins replied: “Certainly Philip’s handover to me has contributed to my strong sense that there was an atmosphere of pressure and a certain dismissiveness.”, reports the Express.

A Sky presenter then informed viewers: “You’re watching Sky News bringing you live testimony from Westminster. Apology if any of the language there cause offence. This is a live evidence hearing at the Foreign Affairs Select Committee.

“We are unable to govern the language used, but apologies again if you were offended by any of the subject matter just then.” Robbins was sacked last week after Keir Starmer learnt he had not been told by him that Mandelson had failed the vetting process to become US Ambassador.

Article continues below

On Monday, Starmer informed the House of Commons that officials had deliberately chosen not to brief him about Mandelson’s failed vetting.

During today’s hearing, Robbins said: “If you look at the documents submitted under the humble address, there is no stipulation from number 10 that he should be vetted.

“The welcome that was sent to him immediately afterwards doesn’t say welcome to the Foreign Office subject to vetting; the announcement put out on December 20 says that he will be out early in the new year, it does not say subject to vetting.”