London24NEWS

Liverpool information: Arne Slot sack demand made to FSG as Mohamed Salah ‘set for large U-turn’

Arne Slot and Mohamed Salah’s futures are up in the air after Liverpool have endured a miserable season under the Dutch manager

Liverpool have all but secured their place in next season’s Champions League after Bournemouth dropped points against Manchester City on Tuesday evening.

The Cherries’ 1-1 stalemate with City means the Reds need only avoid defeat against Brentford at Anfield on Sunday to guarantee a top-five finish. Even should Liverpool suffer defeat, Bournemouth would need to overturn a six-goal deficit to leapfrog the Reds on goal difference. Short of a remarkable turnaround, it seems the embattled Arne Slot has discovered some respite at the conclusion of the club’s shocking season.

Tuesday evening proved significant for the Reds as City’s draw also sealed Arsenal’s championship triumph, the north London outfit’s maiden title in 22 years. The reality is that Liverpool feebly relinquished the crown they had fought so hard to claim last season to the Gunners months earlier. Here’s all the latest news from Anfield as Slot’s future remains in the spotlight.

JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page

Slot dismissal demand

Liverpool should part company with Slot, claims former Reds midfielder Jermaine Pennant.

Last Friday’s 4-2 defeat to Aston Villa means the Merseyside giants have suffered 20 losses across all competitions this season and Anfield flop Pennant believes a change is desperately required, reports the Mirror.

He said: “If the board thinks that this is the guy to stay in charge, then something’s wrong with the board. Everyone can see this Liverpool team, see that they broke almost every single record which is not good – the most goals conceded, the most losses ever in a campaign, you name it. The stats are shocking.”

Pennant supported Mohamed Salah, who criticised Liverpool’s standards in a thinly veiled dig at Slot in a social media post last weekend. The former Arsenal star also argued Liverpool cannot approve another summer of extravagant spending under the Dutchman.

“What he’s saying [Salah] is stating the obvious. And if the board ultimately think that next season is going to be any different… I’m just shocked, because personally, I don’t see how [things will change],” Pennant added.

“Are they going to spend another £450million, half a billion to bring in some more players? It’s down to philosophy the way Liverpool play, how to play. They’re playing like a mid-table team – they just sit back, they wait for teams to come onto them. There’s no threat going forward, they’re not aggressive.

“So you’ve built a great machine and then all of a sudden you change these same cogs in that machine and expect to get the right output. It’s just not going to work.”

Mohamed Salah ‘U-turn’

Reports suggest Salah has given the “green light” to a move to Turkish heavyweights Fenerbahce. The Reds striker made a shock announcement in April that he would depart Anfield after nine years filled with trophy success.

It was widely believed the winger would finally make his much-anticipated move to the Saudi Pro League this summer, but if these claims are accurate, it would seem he’s made a surprising change of plans regarding his future.

The Turkish club have reportedly put forward an “informal offer” to Salah of around £11m a year to keep the Egyptian star in Europe. The report warns Salah hasn’t “entirely ruled out” a move to Saudi Arabia, but he is aiming for an ambitious project “at the highest level”.

These reports mirror the thoughts of Reds legend Jamie Carragher earlier this season. He predicted Salah would reject Saudi Arabia in favour of Europe. Speaking on Sky Sports, he said: “I think Mo Salah, the way he’s driven like a Ronaldo, I don’t see the Saudi thing just yet.

Article continues below

“I just think your career’s over when you go there [Saudi Arabia]. I think he’ll still be looking at his Champions League record or how many goals he can get.

“I still think he thinks, ‘I’m still one of the best players, and me leaving now is not the end of my top-level career, I’ve still got something to give’.”