London24NEWS

Ex-marine flew right into a rage and drove into crowds at Liverpool victory parade earlier than ‘mendacity to police he thought knifeman was making an attempt to open automobile door and stab him’

  • LISTEN: The Trial: The Liverpool Parade – Follow the Paul Doyle case as it unfolds on this new Daily Mail podcast 

A former Royal Marine facing jail after he admitted ploughing into fans celebrating Liverpool’s Premier League title falsely claimed that he was trying to escape a knifeman trying to stab him.

New detail can now be revealed about Paul Doyle’s seven minutes of carnage, which caused such terror and injury that witnesses initially assumed they were the targets of a terror attack.

His attack was only ended when a hero supporter bravely grabbed hold of the gearstick of his Ford Galaxy, which weighed almost two tonnes, finally bringing it to halt.

Horrific new details about his near-fatal rampage come after the 54-year-old father-of-three dramatically changed his pleas and admitted all 31 counts which he was facing on the second day of his trial at Liverpool Crown Court. 

Prosecutors are understood to have been planning to argue that Doyle – who now faces a potential life sentence – used his car as a ‘weapon’ after flying into a rage as he attempted to drive through crowds.

Harrowing dashcam footage which was to have been shown to the jury shows him repeatedly swearing at supporters walking in the road.

He was sober and not under the influence of drugs at the time, and tests of his Ford Galaxy found no defects which could have explained the carnage which unfolded, it is understood.

Doyle was not motivated by any ideology, prosecutors had been expected to tell jurors.

Paul Doyle was told he faces jail after driving his car into crowds at the Liverpool victory parade

Paul Doyle was told he faces jail after driving his car into crowds at the Liverpool victory parade

Emergency services at the scene of the incident on Water Street. More than 130 people were injured, police later said

Emergency services at the scene of the incident on Water Street. More than 130 people were injured, police later said

After the terrifying attack which left 134 people injured, 29 seriously, Doyle falsely told police he had panicked after a man he believed to be armed with a knife tried to open his door.

He lied to officers that he only stopped when he realised he had struck pedestrians.

Astonishingly, considering the reckless and near-fatal violence which was to follow, Doyle was only in Liverpool city centre on May 26 because he had agreed to pick up family friends after the parade – having dropped them off there earlier.

Damning evidence of his guilt came in the form of his dashcam which recorded both video and audio of all his journeys on the six-mile route from his home in Croxteth that day.

It revealed how his driving had already become aggressive even before he encountered fans in the road.

Doyle undertook other cars and ran a red light as he drove the 25-minute journey from his home to Liverpool city centre.

Then as he found his sensible people carrier – in fact registered to his wife – blocked in by thousands of fans, Doyle took advantage of supporters moving cones to allow an ambulance through. 

Within moments of the seven-year-old £12,000 car entering Water Street, Doyle began accelerating, knocking dozens of people over like skittles, horrified witnesses said.

An artist's sketch of Paul Doyle after he appeared in court yesterday

An artist’s sketch of Paul Doyle after he appeared in court yesterday

Pictured: Paul Doyle who was seen driving the car in Liverpool on May 26 2025

Pictured: Paul Doyle who was seen driving the car in Liverpool on May 26 2025

Some fans were sent flying while others were trapped beneath its wheels.

As people screamed in panic, the car finally came to a halt, before it was rushed by dozens fans, trying to get to Doyle in the driver’s seat.

Some were shouting: ‘F****** kill him!’

Police officers managed to intervene and Doyle was bundled into a nearby police van for his own safety and arrested.

When he was interviewed, Doyle falsely told police he had been in fear after a man he believed to be armed with a knife tried to open his door.

He claimed he had been driving slowly through the crowds when someone smashed his car window, leaving him terrified that the knifeman had followed him and that he was going to be stabbed.

Doyle insisted he panicked and tried to drive away, only stopping when he realised he had struck pedestrians.

However the ‘knifeman’ was entirely fictitious, and exhaustive analysis of harrowing CCTV footage spelt out the carnage he had in fact inflicted.

Jack Trotter (pictured) was struck by the driver on Water Street, shortly after 6pm. He had been out celebrating his team's league title win during the club's victory parade

Jack Trotter (pictured) was struck by the driver on Water Street, shortly after 6pm. He had been out celebrating his team’s league title win during the club’s victory parade

Police officers investigate the scene of an incident in Water Street, on the sidelines of the open-top bus victory parade for Liverpool's Premier League title win on May 26 this year

Police officers investigate the scene of an incident in Water Street, on the sidelines of the open-top bus victory parade for Liverpool’s Premier League title win on May 26 this year

Police officers are seen covering an area with an inflatable tent to preserve evidence

Police officers are seen covering an area with an inflatable tent to preserve evidence

In reality, the attack was only ended when a supporter bravely got inside Doyle’s car, which had an automatic gearbox.

The man reached over to put it into ‘park’, finally bringing the two-tonne vehicle to a halt.

Doyle’s attack was in fact a grotesque and inexplicable piece of road rage, prosecutors would have argued had the trial gone ahead.

The truth, it is understood they would have alleged, was that he was prepared to cause serious harm to men, women and children in order to get through. 

Doyle, of Croxteth, Liverpool, appeared inconsolable and gasped repeatedly as the counts he faced were read out by the court clerk one by one.

Doyle’s voice shook and he could scarcely utter the word ‘guilty’ as he confirmed he was changing his plea on each count. 

Afterwards, he sat slumped in his seat in the dock.

Judge Andrew Menary KC, The Honorary Recorder of Liverpool, told Doyle that a ‘custodial sentence of some length’ was plainly ‘inevitable’ when he is sentenced next month.

Timeline of the Liverpool trophy parade on May 26

Multiple people were injured after a car ploughed into a crowd of jubilant Liverpool fans during their Premier League victory parade just after 6pm on Monday.

The parade started at 2.30pm at Allerton Maze and was supposed to last four hours.

An open-top bus full of players and staff travelled northbound across the city, continuing through key areas.

2.30pm

As the bus made its way along Allerton Maze, players waved to thousands of cheering fans who showed up to watch them set off.

Stars including Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah led celebrations atop the open-top bus.

Crowds of people in Liverpool covered in face-paint lined the street, dancing, waving flags and painting the sky red with flares and confetti.

3.30pm

The bus had already made its first stop to Queens Drive and had crossed over the flyover at the end of the M26.

4pm

Merseyside police issued a warning to the floods of people celebrating.

They said: ‘Please keep yourselves and other people safe during today’s #LFC Victory Parade by not climbing buildings, structures, scaffolding or street furniture.

‘The parade route covers 10 miles and there are plenty of safe vantage points to see the LFC bus. Hope everyone has a great day!’

4.30pm

The bus had already made its way through the next stop – Mill Bank – and had just reached West Derby Road.

5pm

The parade was over half-way through and the bus was making its way towards the city centre.

It started off by driving down Leeds Street before arriving at the Strand and was meant to end on Blundell Street.

5.30pm

The players had passed Old Hall Street junction while Calvin Harris DJ’d at the front of the bus.

5.38pm

Fireworks went off at Malmasion and the Royal Liver Building as the bus headed down New Quay onto The Strand.

5.48pm

The Strand was heaving with people as Calvin Harris played the song One Kiss, fireworks exploded and fans danced and cheered.

6pm

Just after 6pm on Water Street, in the heart of Liverpool’s city centre, a car ploughed into a crowd of excited people.

Emergency services rushed to the scene within minutes, with dramatic images showing police cordons, litter strewn across the road, and a strong presence of officers, ambulances and even a fire engine.

The car, described by witnesses as ‘beeping’ as it made its way through the crowds, eventually came to a halt at the scene.

Multiple people were reportedly injured, with four people being seen taken away on stretchers, while another man was pictured leaning heavily on a police officer for support.

6.42pm

Police vehicles, fire engines and ambulances were stationed around the Water Street area as the main road was cordoned off.

7pm

It was announced that the car was stopped at the scene and a man was arrested.

Merseyside Police said: ‘We are currently dealing with reports of a road traffic collision in Liverpool city centre.

‘We were contacted at just after 18:00 today, following reports a car had been in collision with a number of pedestrians on Water Street.

‘The car stopped at the scene and a male has been detained.

‘Emergency services are currently on the scene.’

First responders were attending to people at the scene and the North West Air Ambulance arrived.

7.08pm

The North West Ambulance released a statement.

It said: ‘NWAS is supporting an incident in Liverpool city centre, following reports of a road traffic collision.

‘We are currently assessing the situation and working with other members of the emergency services.

‘Our priority is to ensure people receive the medical help they need as quickly as possible.

‘Updates will be published on this page and Mersey Police as we know more.’

7.33pm

Prime Minister Keir Starmer released a statement.

He wrote: ‘The scenes in Liverpool are appalling — my thoughts are with all those injured or affected.

‘I want to thank the police and emergency services for their swift and ongoing response to this shocking incident.

‘I’m being kept updated on developments and ask that we give the police the space they need to investigate.’

7.54pm

Home Secretary Yvette Cooper was updated on the situation in Liverpool.

8pm

Liverpool FC released a statement that read: ‘Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by this serious incident.

‘We will continue to offer our full support to the emergency services and local authorities who are dealing with this incident.’

8.09pm

Merseyside Police confirmed the man arrested is a 53-year-old white British man from the Liverpool area.

8.40pm

Yvette Cooper posted a statement on X – thanking police and emergency services.

She wrote: ‘Thank you to the police and emergency services for their swift response to the truly shocking and horrendous scenes in Liverpool this evening.

‘Thinking of all those affected at this very difficult time. The police are investigating and I’m being kept updated on developments.’

9pm

The scene was littered with several police vans and ambulances as well as emergency service workers on the ground.

A police van and car blocked Water Street with other police vehicles parked along The Strand.

Meanwhile, a large blue tent was erected in Water Street with two fire engines parked in front.

10.55pm

During a press conference this evening, Merseyside Police Assistant Chief Constable, Jenny Sims confirmed that 27 people had been taken to hospital following the carnage. Of those, one adult and one child were seriously injured.

She also said the Water Street collision is not being treated as an act of terrorism.

Adding: ‘I know that people will understandably be concerned by what has happened tonight.

‘What I can tell you is that we believe this to be an isolated incident, and we are not currently looking for anyone else in relation to it.

‘The incident is not being treated as terrorism.’

12.02am

Sir Keir Starmer released a new statement praising the bravery pf the police and condemning the incident.

He said: ‘Tonight, I have spoken to Steve Rotheram about the terrible events in Liverpool and the remarkable bravery shown by the police and other emergency services.

‘They are supporting and caring for those injured in these terrible events.

‘Everyone, especially children, should be able to celebrate their heroes without this horror.

‘The city has a long and proud history of coming together through difficult times.

‘Liverpool stands together and the whole country stands with Liverpool.’