A hero LNER worker who was left in a critical condition after “saving lives” in the horror Huntingdon train attack has been discharged from hospital.
Samir Zitouni, 48, had been in a critical condition having suffered multiple injuries on November 1. Now, thanks to the efforts of NHS medical staff, he’s been able to be discharged from hospital to continue his recovery at home.
His family have said: “We are so grateful for the outpouring of support from the public, and very touched by all the kind words about Sam’s brave actions on the night of the attack. While we are really happy to have him home, he still has a significant recovery ahead and we would now like to be left in privacy to care for him as a family.”
(Image: Emma Trimble / SWNS)
Mr Zitouni, 48, had worked for London North Eastern Railway (LNER) for more than 20 years, and is said to have saved many lives at the time of the train stabbings.
David Horne, managing director at LNER, previously said: “In a moment of crisis, Sam did not hesitate as he stepped forward to protect those around him. His actions were incredibly brave, and we are so proud of him, and of all our colleagues who acted with such courage that evening. Our thoughts and prayers remain with Sam and his family. We will continue to support them and wish him a full and speedy recovery.”
Mr Zitouni worked as a customer experience host, which largely involves providing onboard catering. The attack is understood to have started shortly after the train left Peterborough station.
(Image: PA)
Passengers pulled the emergency alarms on the LNER service. Train driver Andrew Johnson, who served in the Royal Navy for 17 years, contacted a signaller and requested an unscheduled stop at Huntingdon station.
Last week, British Transport Police (BTP) said Mr Zitouni was in a stable condition but critically unwell at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge. He was among 11 patients treated at the hospital for injuries sustained during the attack. Thankfully, he has now been discharged.
Anthony Williams, 32, was remanded into custody at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court on November 3 charged with 10 counts of attempted murder over the incident.
BTP gave Williams’s address as Langford Road, Peterborough. He was remanded into custody to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on December 1.