Premier League Darts line-up leaves followers livid as Stephen Bunting makes the minimize alongside Luke Littler forward of two main omissions

The Premier League Darts line-up for 2026 has been announced – but not all fans are happy. 

The blockbuster invitational event takes place across 16 regular season nights between February and May, plus a finals night involving the top four. 

The top four ranked players in the world automatically qualify for the Premier League, meaning Luke Littler, Luke Humphries, Gian van Veen and Michael van Gerwen made it there this time by that measurement, with the four other picks decided by the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC).

And the names to have been given the nod are Josh Rock, Jonny Clayton, Stephen Bunting and Gerwyn Price.

Humphries is the current Premier League champion, while van Veen will be making his first appearance in the competition having reached the final at the World Championship, an achievement that saw him rise to world No 3. Rock will also be a debutant. 

Clayton, nicknamed ‘The Ferret’, won the Premier League in 2021, but he hasn’t featured in the tournament since 2023.

World champion Luke Littler is one of eight players set to compete in the 2026 Premier League

The line-up was revealed on Monday, with some fans confused at Stephen Bunting’s selection

Although selecting only four players is an extremely tough ask, there were several notable absentees, including Ryan Searle, Nathan Aspinall, Danny Noppert, James Wade and Gary Anderson, although the Scot had insisted he didn’t want to be part of the tournament given the travelling involved. 

Alongside Aspinall, Chris Dobey and Rob Cross are the other two players from last year’s competition to have been omitted.  

And fans were quick to hit out at the line-up, with Bunting’s selection one to be questioned by many after his disappointing performance on his debut in the Premier League last year when he came eighth. 

The Bullet was also knocked out in the third round of the World Championship.  

One supporter said: ‘Gerwyn Price and Stephen Bunting both had a terrible years in 2025. How come they are in the Premier League? Where are Danny Noppert, James Wade and Ryan Searle? I think, the PDC should establish a merit-based-system…’

Another added: ‘Noppert, Wade or Searle instead of Bunting,’ before a further chimed in with: ‘Bunting and Rock shouldn’t be there at all.’

Other frustrated fans also gave their takes as one said: ‘We need NOPPERT for proper darts not a walk on showman,’ before a further user said: ‘Ryan Searle…’

Meanwhile, Sky Sports Darts pundit Wayne Mardle said: ‘I’m slightly surprised at Stephen Bunting. I just am. 

World Championship semi-finalist Ryan Searle was one of several notable absentees

‘He’s had a decent enough year but not as good as some in my opinion and he can consider himself a little fortunate. 

‘He didn’t play well in the Premier League… well no that’s unfair. He played OK in the Premier League but results did not go his way, especially for the first eight weeks where he didn’t win a game, but we know the Premier League is tough. 

‘But yeah you can’t argue with any of them in terms of their ability, what they are capable of, but Stephen Bunting will be the one who will breathe a huge sigh of relief.’

Explaining the picks, PDC chief executive Matt Porter added: ‘There’s a fresh new look to this year’s line-up, which I’m sure will entertain our incredible crowds across the UK and Europe.

‘The selection for this year’s tournament was particularly difficult given the incredible standard of darts we’ve seen over the last 12 months.

‘Following on from a historic World Championship, we’re determined to build on this momentum in 2026, and we’re particularly looking forward to taking the BetMGM Premier League to Belgium for the first time.

‘All eight players boast considerable pedigree on the sport’s biggest stages, and following record-breaking ticket sales for the 2026 season, this year’s event promises to be a memorable one.’

Comments (0)
Add Comment