Albanese authorities points Trump an ultimatum if he desires Australia to assist reopen the Strait of Hormuz

The Albanese government has drawn a clear line for Washington, saying Australia will only help reopen the Strait of Hormuz if the current ceasefire hardens into a lasting peace.

Defence Minister Richard Marles said Australia would not commit naval forces while conditions on the ground remain unstable, despite the United States launching a naval blockade of Iranian ports overnight.

US President Donald Trump has not yet made any direct requests to Australia to join the blockade, but said some other countries have ‘offered their services.’ 

Marles told ABC’s AM program the government was ‘deeply invested’ in restoring freedom of navigation through the strait and ensuring global fuel supply chains were ‘returning to normal’, but warned any Australian role hinged on security guarantees that do not yet exist. 

Australia will attend a summit hosted by the United Kingdom and France later this week, where allies will discuss options to safeguard commercial shipping through the strategic waterway.

‘We are working with all of our partners around efforts that are being taken forward in respect of the Strait of Hormuz and how Australia can best contribute,’ Marles said.

However, he cautioned that Australia would not move prematurely.

‘All of those efforts are predicated on when … conditions allow that to occur. And right now, that is very uncertain,’ Marles said.

Australia will only offer help the US to reopen the Strait of Hormuz if a ceasefire is achieved 

‘We really need to see what plays out throughout the remainder of the ceasefire and as to what the circumstances are in the Strait of Hormuz, which would allow some effort to begin.’ 

The remarks mirror comments from Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who said Australia wanted to see a ‘de‑escalation’ in the fighting and expressed disappointment that negotiations between Iran and the United States had collapsed.

‘We want to see the Strait of Hormuz opened and with freedom of navigation taking place,’ Albanese said on Monday. 

‘So, obviously, the lack of a resolution in the negotiations that took place over the weekend were disappointing.’

Australia’s new Chief of the Defence Force, Vice Admiral Mark Hammond, said the Australian Navy was ready should the government receive a formal request from Washington.

‘Let me start by saying that we’ve got 10 surface combatants right now, eight of them are at sea today. That, Navy, is as ready as it ever has been,’ Hammond said on Monday.

‘And they are fitted with one of the most advanced radars in the world, CEA Radar, and some of the most advanced missile and point defence systems in the world.’

Asked whether Australian forces were capable of contributing to operations in the Strait of Hormuz, Hammond said Australia was ready to assist. 

 ‘Are they capable of performing the mission? As Admiral Johnston said last week, absolutely.’

However, he stressed any deployment decision rested with the government.

‘The question of a contribution is one for consideration by the Australian Government, should they receive a request, and there’s been no such request as yet,’ Hammond said.