The ad, created by tech firm JustSext, featured two AI-generated models posing in bikinis and was reportedly branded ‘too revealing’ after passers-by flooded the landlord with complaints
An AI billboard was pulled down in under 24 hours after triggering a wave of complaints over its “raunchy” content.
The advert, which appeared on Los Angeles’ renowned Sunset Boulevard, was deemed too “revealing” after angry passers-by bombarded the landlord with objections. It had only been operational for a few hours before the backlash started to mount.
And despite the design receiving approval weeks beforehand, it was swiftly axed. The contentious campaign was developed by tech company JustSext and showcased two AI-generated models striking poses in bikinis. The billboard was erected at approximately 9:30am on Tuesday (April 21) but was hastily taken down later that same day.
Residents were left gobsmacked by the provocative imagery, with numerous people turning to social media to express their outrage. One person said: “Alright I’ve seen enough, shut it all down.”
Another person added: “We are doomed. Well you simps are doomed.” One local said: “We are progressing, just backwards though.” Another local said: “I think we are doing the wrong thing.” One person added: “This is actually terrifying.”
The firm behind the advert provides users with the opportunity to chat with so-called ‘AI twins’ of their favourite adult stars round the clock.
Executives maintain the billboard’s concept had been sanctioned beforehand following months of preparation. Eric Dolan, founder & CEO of JustSext stated: “The vendor approved this creative weeks before it went up.
“It was live for less than a day before it came down – the art didn’t change between approval and install. What changed was that real people saw it.
“You’d think in 2026 with everyone in the media and how sex usually leads the tip of the spear on innovation and technology, it wouldn’t be so shocking.
“The internet, VHS, webcams – all of these became affordable and viable because of this industry. I think we forget this and take it for granted.”
Despite the controversy, the company has no intention of moderating its approach and is already devising an even more provocative successor.
The forthcoming campaign is anticipated to push limits even further, challenging public attitudes towards AI, adult material and censorship.
Eric continued: “What happened in LA this week isn’t really about one billboard, it’s about a category that’s growing faster than the culture around it is ready for.
“You can’t regulate a market into not existing. You can only decide whether the people building it are operating above board or in the shadows.”
JustSext claims it is spearheading the next generation of technology-meets-adult entertainment by collaborating directly with leading performers to develop digital doubles that mirror their character and image.
High-profile figures including Sophie Dee and Lena The Plug have already enlisted and endorsed their own AI counterparts. And despite the advertisement being withdrawn, appetite for the service has skyrocketed.
Eric added: “We had a wave of paying customers inside the first 48 hours. We broke our own payment system on day one because people were trying to spend money faster than we could process it.
“People were talking to our AI for hours and loving it. We’re one of the most ethically structured players in this entire space. If our billboard gets pulled in 24 hours, imagine what happens to everyone doing it without the guardrails. The irony is that the takedown mostly punishes the companies trying to do this the right way.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.