French lawyers for reality TV star Kim Kardashian made the extraordinarily low claim after the 45-year-old American said ‘I forgive you’ to the ringleader of the terrifying heist
Kim Kardashian has demanded just 87p in damages from the Paris criminals who robbed her at gunpoint of £7.5million-worth of jewellery.
French lawyers for the billionaire reality TV star made the extraordinarily low claim after the 45-year-old American said ‘I forgive you’ to the ringleader of the terrifying heist. It was in 2016 that a gang attacked her in her hotel apartment during Paris Fashion Week, tying her up, gagging her, and leaving her in fear of her life.
Most of the swag has never been recovered, including a £3million 18.88-carat engagement ring given to Ms Kardashian by former husband, the rapper Kanye West.
But on Monday (May 18), Ms Kardashian’s barrister Léonor Hennerick told a civil court that time had healed, and she only wanted ‘a token euro’ – the equivalent of 87p – in damages. This would be paid by the four key members of the eight-person gang, including leader Aomar Aït Khedache, who is now 70.
Following a high-profile trial last year, all were told they would not spend another day in prison. This was because of the age and declining health of the defendants, who were dubbed ‘the grandpa robbers’, and time they had spent in a cell on remand.
At the time, Ms Kardashian said she was ‘satisfied’ with the result of the trial, and that ‘justice had been served.’ The highest sentence of eight years in prison – with five suspended – was handed down to Aït Khedache, who sent his victim a written apology.
In moving scenes in court, a tearful Ms Kardashian told him: “I do appreciate the letter. I forgive you for what has taken place, but it doesn’t change the emotion and the feelings and the trauma the way my life is forever changed.”
Trial judge David De Pas admitted ‘the sentences were fairly lenient,’ but none of the accused was likely to reoffend. The vast majority of defendants were imprisoned in January 2017, three months after the robbery. But then they were released on bail, meaning they were all free when the trial started in April 2025.
During the civil damages hearing in Paris on Monday, Ms Kardashian’s stylist, Simone Bretter – who was in the hotel suite when it was raided – also asked for a single euro in damages. In turn, Abderrahmane Ouatiki – the hotel receptionist on the night of the raid who also had a gun put to his head – asked for €550,000 in damages – the equivalent of around £470,000.
Lawyers for Mr Ouatiki, an Algerian national, said he had ‘been living with post-traumatic stress disorder,’ and unable to complete his PhD studies at university. The Hôtel de Pourtalès, where the robbery took place, is claiming the equivalent of £86,000 in damages for ‘reputational harm’.
Ms Kardashian, star of Keeping Up With The Kardashians, qualified as an attorney last year, following six years of study. She said she wanted to ‘fight for justice’, including for defendants in criminal trials.
Her late father, Robert Kardashian Junior, famously defended actor O.J.Simpson at his trial for murder in 1995.
The decision regarding civil damages will be handed down by judges on September 15.
Have you joined Threads? Follow Daily Star to keep up to date on all things showbiz here.Want all the biggest Showbiz and TV news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Showbiz newsletter.