Southampton enchantment over spygate end result as EFL say listening to could happen tomorrow

Southampton have confirmed that they will appeal against the independent commission’s decision after the Saints were kicked out of the Championship play-off final

View 3 Images

Southampton fans mocked the spygate in the play-off semi-final against Middlesbrough (Image: Getty Images)

Southampton have launched an appeal against being expelled from the Championship play-offs after admitting to spying on opponents Middlesbrough before their semi-final meeting.

Middlesbrough have been reinstated to the play-offs in an incredible verdict from an independent commission, which heard the case on today (May 19).

However, the Middlesbrough and Southampton fans potential face another day of play-off-final limbo as the EFL say an appeal could “result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture.”

Southampton have confirmed to the Press Association they will appeal the sanctions. The EFL said the parties were working to ensure an appeal could be heard on Wednesday (May 20).

“Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture,” the EFL said.

Southampton are yet to comment on the outcome publicly, although a statement is expected after the club reportedly sold out its ticket allocation for the final at Wembley.

Middlesbrough reported to the EFL that a member of Southampton staff had spied on a training session on May 7, in breach of league rules, with the EFL charging them the following day.

Boro are now set to take on Hull in Saturday’s play-off final at Wembley, pending the appeal from Southampton.

The EFL confirmed further charges had been laid against Southampton on Sunday, and that Southampton had admitted observing training sessions ahead of matches against Oxford last December and Ipswich in April 2026, as well as the one before the Boro game.

The EFL said the written reasons for the commission’s sanctions would be issued in due course, and that it would now hold further discussions with the three clubs regarding the implications of the decision.

Article continues below

Middlesbrough, who had called last week for Southampton to be kicked out over the scandal, issued a statement welcoming the decision, adding: “We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct.

“As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly.”

Breaking NewsChampionshipMiddlesbrough FCSouthampton FC