The bodies of three women – Christina Walters, 32, Jane Adetoro, 36, and Rebecca Walters, 31 – were pulled from the water off Brighton beach, as family reflect on their mother’s tragic drowning death
Three sisters who tragically lost their lives in a seaside incident never fully recovered from the heartbreaking death of their mother in similar circumstances.
The bodies of Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32 and Rebecca Walters, 31, were retrieved from the water off Brighton beach earlier this month. Family members of the women, hailing from Uxbridge, North West London, have reportedly stated they were unaware of the sisters’ journey to Brighton that morning, but had since reflected on whether they may have been marking the memory of their mother, who tragically drowned in Birmingham at the age of 43.
Now, the three women leave behind a heartbroken fourth sister. Lilly, their 25-year-old half-sister, is said to be inconsolable. Female relatives are expected to arrange the funeral, as reported by the Mail, with their father Joseph currently lacking the strength to do so. Step-mother Genevieve Barnaby-Adetoro expressed her belief that it’s “right” for Lilly, who resides in the US, to be involved.
“We’ve said she can be in charge of their homecoming and she wants it to be as beautiful as possible, with white caskets and white roses,” she said. “She even wants a carriage to take them home, to honour them. We will ask her to pick their clothes.”
The reason why the three women were in the water remains unclear, and Genevieve suspects it’s possible they couldn’t swim. Ajike Johnson, the sisters’ aunt, comforted Genevieve, assuring her that they could indeed swim, reports the Mirror.
“Genevieve, you didn’t teach them, but they would have learned when they were young, before they lived with you,” she said. “I’m sure they could swim… I remember Jane coming with us to that water park in Bolton when she came to stay. I’m sure she was swimming then.”
Sussex Police stated there was no evidence to suggest criminality or that anyone else was involved, but specialist detectives are working to gather the full facts and circumstances surrounding their deaths. Hundreds of hours of CCTV footage have been reviewed and inquiries made to businesses and properties around the beach area to try to track the women’s last movements, the force said.
Emergency services were alerted after concerns were raised for a person’s welfare at around 5:45am on May 13, before three bodies were retrieved from the water near Madeira Drive.
The three women hailed from the Uxbridge area of London.
Their father Joseph paid a heartfelt tribute to his three daughters “whose lives ended so tragically far too soon”.
He confessed there are days when the grief feels “unbearable” but he clings onto the memories they shared and “the bond that death can never take away”.
A statement read: “Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.
“Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.
“Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.”
Genevieve disclosed that she and Joseph were watching the news at their home. Ajike mentioned she received a Sky News update on her phone about the incident as it unfolded.
Later, the police rang and asked Joseph if he had children. When he confirmed he did, officers arrived to deliver the news in person.
“We’d been watching the news and had no idea it was our girls,” Genevieve confessed. “We didn’t even know they were in Brighton. Then we had to go and identify the girls, one by one.”
The horrific incident has served as a painful echo of the death of mum Janice, who battled with stress-related mental health issues before vanishing from her home in the Birmingham suburb of Erdington in the early hours. Reports indicate the tragedy occurred in January 2012, but family members have stated it happened in 2010.
At the time, it was reported that Janice lived with two daughters, aged 15 and 20, and had a third daughter, aged 16, who resided with her father in Bedfordshire. At the time, Janice’s brother, Lincoln Walters said he hadn’t heard from his sister since New Year’s Day, while her mum, Cynthia Smith-Walters, shared that she hadn’t seen Janice since their Christmas Day dinner.
Police have urged anyone with information regarding this month’s incident to step forward, particularly anyone who saw the sisters around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on May 12 and 5.30am May 13.
Chief Superintendent Adam Hays declared that the force “will leave no stone unturned” in their investigation to comprehend what led to the “tragic events of that Wednesday morning”.
“The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss,” he expressed. “This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police online or via 101 quoting Operation Ledmore, serial 438 of 20/05.
An inquest into their deaths is set to commence at Brighton coroner’s court next Friday, May 29.