Mohammed Abdullah, 19, was found guilty by a jury at Bournemouth Crown Court of the rape and sexual assault by penetration of a woman on Bournemouth seafront in the early hours of July 6, 2025
A 19-year-old man from Syria has been sentenced to six years and nine months behind bars for raping a woman in a portable toilet on Bournemouth seafront.
Mohammed Abdullah, who had been residing in the West Drayton area of Middlesex, was convicted by a jury at Bournemouth Crown Court of rape and sexual assault by penetration of the 19-year-old woman during the early hours of July 6, 2025.
Alongside his custodial sentence, he will also be registered as a sex offender for life. Mark Eldridge, prosecuting, informed the trial that the victim had been socialising with a friend that evening, initially in Charminster before moving on to Bar So in Bournemouth, Dorset.
He explained that after consuming a “fair amount to drink” she and her companion went their separate ways, with the victim beginning her journey home along the seafront where she encountered the defendant, who was accompanied by friends and subsequently offered her a ride home on his e-bike.
They later stopped at a portable toilet where Abdullah sexually assaulted her before committing rape. Mr Eldridge said: “She was wriggling and trying to fight and then thought if she let it happen it would be quicker.”
He added: “The defendant kissed her aggressively and she pulled away but somehow got a burst lip.”
He stated that following the attack, the defendant cycled away while the victim “took her shoes off in order to run”. She then appealed to members of the public for assistance, requesting to borrow their phones to contact her mother, whom she informed about the rape before alerting police.
Mr Eldridge stated that one gentleman who assisted her described her as “appearing distressed”.
Abdullah reached the UK from Syria in 2023 and was granted permanent leave to remain through a family reunion programme. He had informed the court that the sexual encounter was “consensual” and claimed the complainant had wished to embrace and kiss him.
Detective Inspector Shaun Inkpen, of Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team, said: “Firstly I would like to acknowledge the bravery of the young woman in coming forward and reporting such a horrific and terrifying sexual attack.
“Throughout our investigation and the subsequent criminal justice process she has shown immense strength, courage and resilience. This young woman’s evidence played a crucial role in securing Abdullah’s conviction and subsequent custodial sentence.”
Samantha Wright, Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) senior crown prosecutor, said: “Mohammed Abdullah exploited a young woman who was vulnerable and simply trying to get home safely.
“Having gained her trust by offering her a lift, he subjected her to a terrifying sexual attack. The victim’s bravery in reporting what happened and supporting this prosecution has ensured a dangerous offender has been held accountable for his actions.
“Violence against women and girls has no place in our communities. The CPS will continue to work tirelessly to bring perpetrators of these abhorrent offences to justice.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.