Ministers are ‘livid’ at ‘bonkers’ plan to maintain Keir Starmer in No10 till 2027
Sir Keir Starmer’s allies claim that he has no plans to step down before the Labour Party conference in September. They claim it is unlikely he will go before Christmas
Ministers are privately fuming at “bats***” plans to have Sir Keir Starmer remain as Prime Minister until 2027. His allies say he has no plans to step down before the Labour Party conference in September and is unlikely to go before Christmas.
They reckon there are still significant obstacles ahead for ‘King of the North’ Andy Burnham to take control. And they expect a full contest for the succession could run into early next year while Starmer remains in No.10.
But one minister briefed on the discussions called the prospect “bats***”. Burnham’s campaign has refused to commit to Labour’s 2024 manifesto promise not to raise income tax, national insurance or VAT.
Labour’s candidate for the Makerfield by-election has previously supported raising the top rate of income tax to 50p and for council tax to be re-evaluated. His spokesman said: “Andy is fully focused on working hard for every vote in Makerfield so he can represent them in parliament.
“Andy is not standing on a national manifesto at this election. He is standing to make a difference for the people of Makerfield and to bring the change he has delivered in Greater Manchester to the national stage.”
Mr Burnham said he was “proud and humbled” to be the only candidate short-listed by Labour for the by-election, which will be held on June 18. Following a day of door-knocking, he added: “Many people here feel Westminster isn’t working for them and they are right.
“I am standing to change that and get the voice of these communities heard loud and clear.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.
