London24NEWS

Hotel bosses moan about empty rooms as followers keep away from most costly World Cup in historical past

FIFA’s claim tournament would trigger £12.7bn tourism boom across America fall flat as host city booking frenzy fails to materialise just days away from kick off

Hotel chiefs are moaning about empty rooms as fans stay away from the most expensive World Cup in history. It was earmarked as triggering a tourism boom for co-host the US.

But now hotel bosses fear the anticipated booking frenzy may not materialise. A report by the American Hotel & Lodging Association has found bookings below expectations in nearly every host city creating a risk ‘the anticipated economic lift may fall short’.

The association – which represents 32,000 properties and 80% of all franchised hotels – blames FIFA for block-booking too many rooms for its own use and creating false demand.

That led to artificially high pricing which – after football’s governing body cancelled a large number of rooms – left a vacuum, the body said. FIFA said it did not recognise the accusation.

Hotels said the high price of match tickets, local transport and taxes – plus the political backdrop – have put off visitors. The association said hotels had spent years preparing and had made ‘significant investments’ based upon official projections.

A study commissioned by FIFA last year predicted the World Cup could create 185,000 US jobs and pump £12.7bn into the economy. Hotels planned for an influx of international travellers who book longer stays and spend more.

But the association said fewer overseas fans ‘threatens the broader economic impact’ ahead of the opening match on June 11. The body said large-scale bookings made by FIFA in all cities ‘shaped revenue forecasts, staffing plans and preparations’.

The booking policy ‘manufactured artificial demand’ and masked the fact tourist flow was going to be lower than predicted. Up to 70% of rooms reserved by FIFA in Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Seattle have been cancelled, the association said.

FIFA rejected the claims and said it had followed agreements made with hotel chains. “All room releases were conducted in line with contractually agreed timelines with hotel partners – a standard practice for an event of this scale,” a spokesman said.

“In many cases room releases were made ahead of established deadlines to further accommodate requests from hotels. Throughout the planning process FIFA’s accommodations team maintained consistent discussions with hotel stakeholders, including room block adjustments, agreeing to rates, confirming room types and regular reporting, supported by town hall and ongoing communication.”

Prices spiked after the draw was made when fans knew which cities their teams would be in. There had been a gradual fall since and it could be too late to entice fans back. Hotel prices in cities like Boston are still more than £224-a-night with most fans working to a lower budget.

England fan Chris Hancock, who has been to four World Cups, said his group of five were travelling on an accommodation budget of £56-per-person per night, will hire cars in each city and book a mix of hotels and Airbnbs up to an hour away from match venues. “We always tend to stay out of town a little bit and cut the cost that way, so we’re not in the middle of Dallas, Boston or New York,” Hancock said.

“If you’re out of the city centres where everything’s happening you can get some cheaper deals. We’re working within that budget. At the minute we should be well under that.”

Article continues below

The hotel association told BBC Sport it ‘expects occupancy to strengthen in June and July’. “We know that many fans are still waiting on tickets and schedules to become clearer before finalising plans,” a spokesman said.

“We believe bookings will pick up in the weeks ahead. Hotels are ready to welcome guests and ensure that they have the best possible experience.”