London24NEWS

Starmer informed to stop by all events as he performs dumb over Peter Mandelson failed vetting

Prime Minister Keir Starmer is facing mounting fury after Downing Street admitted Peter Mandelson was made US ambassador despite failing security vetting checks

Sir Keir Starmer is under intense pressure to quit after a bombshell admission that Peter Mandelson was appointed Britain’s ambassador to the US despite failing security checks.

In a dramatic twist, Downing Street confirmed Lord Mandelson was approved for the high-profile Washington DC role against the advice of vetting officials – but insisted the Prime Minister had no knowledge of the decision.

The Foreign Office is said to have pushed ahead regardless, installing Lord Mandelson as the UK’s top diplomat in the US capital despite the red flags. No10 claimed neither Starmer nor any minister was aware of the failed vetting until Tuesday evening, when the PM immediately ordered a Whitehall investigation.

The scandal only erupted publicly after The Guardian published explosive allegations on Thursday afternoon – with Downing Street staying silent for nearly three hours.

According to the report, security officials initially refused clearance, but Starmer had already named Mandelson for the role. The Foreign Office then took the rare step of overriding that recommendation.

Behind the scenes, speculation is swirling in Westminster that senior civil servant Olly Robbins could be made the fall guy. The Foreign Office says it is now scrambling to explain how Mandelson was granted clearance despite the concerns.

The revelations have triggered a political firestorm, with the Conservative Party, Reform UK, Liberal Democrats and Green Party all demanding Starmer resign over claims he misled the public.

Critics point to February, when the PM insisted the vetting process had “gave him clearance for the role”, and his claim that “full due process” had been followed.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch said: “The PM appointed Peter Mandelson before the vetting had been completed, vetting Mandelson failed.

“Starmer then said full due process was followed. THAT is misleading Parliament. I’m only holding him to the same standards to which he’s held previous PMs – that if they mislead parliament, they should resign.

“In these dangerous times, Britain cannot afford to have a PM who the country doesn’t trust. Starmer has betrayed our national security. He should go.”

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage added: “Now we discover that he has blatantly lied, the Prime Minister should resign.”

Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey also piled on, saying: “Keir Starmer had already made a catastrophic error of judgement. Now it looks as though he has also misled Parliament and lied to the British public. If that is the case, he must go.”

Downing Street sources say officials are now trawling through documents as the Government races to comply with demands from MPs to release all files linked to Mandelson’s appointment.

A Government spokesperson said: “The security vetting process for Peter Mandelson was sponsored by the FCDO. The decision to grant Developed Vetting to Peter Mandelson against the recommendation of UK Security Vetting was taken by officials in the FCDO.

“Neither the PM, nor any Government minister, was aware that Peter Mandelson was granted Developed Vetting against the advice of UK Security Vetting until earlier this week.

“Once the PM was informed he immediately instructed officials to establish the facts about why the Developed Vetting was granted, in order to enact plans to update the House of Commons.”

Article continues below

They added the Government will comply “in full as soon as possible” with Parliament’s demand to publish documents, with the Intelligence and Security Committee reviewing any sensitive material.

A Foreign Office spokesperson confirmed: “The PM has initiated a process to establish the facts of the granting of developed vetting and we are working urgently to comply with that process.”