London24NEWS

Arsenal information: Man Utd switch raid launched as Gunners hit again at Premier League rivals

Arsenal are planning a raid on their Premier League rivals Manchester United as transfer talk heats up ahead of the start of the new season kicking off for the champions

Mikel Arteta

Mikel Arteta can splash the cash again this summer

Premier League champions Arsenal are preparing for the new season and considering a bold raid on one of their biggest rivals.

Mikel Arteta’s men gave their fans a tantalising taste of what is to come this new season as they smashed Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield last Sunday, ahead of kicking off the new campaign with the competition’s curtain-raiser at home against Frank Lampard’s newly-promoted Coventry City on Friday night.

The Gunners sporting director Andrea Berta is said to be edging closer to securing versatile defender Ezri Konsa from Aston Villa. Yet the North London giants have more moves in mind before the summer transfer window slams shut on September 1. Here’s all the latest news from the Emirates Stadium.

Mikel Arteta, Manager of Arsenal

Mikel Arteta has been vocal on Arsenal’s transfer needs(Image: Nigel French/Getty Images)

JOIN US ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page

Ethan Nwaneri transfer stance

Arsenal have chosen to focus on loan deals for Nwaneri before the summer transfer window closes, reports the Mirror.

The 19-year-old’s prospects have been heavily debated this summer amid worries over his limited playing time under Arteta.

Fabrizio Romano had suggested he was set for an exit after being omitted from Arsenal’s Community Shield squad that defeated City. Clubs including Galatasaray, AC Milan and various Premier League sides were reportedly showing interest.

Ethan Nwaneri.

Ethan Nwaneri is likely to depart north London this summer(Image: Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

Nevertheless, BBC Sport has now revealed Arsenal are reluctant to part with Nwaneri on a permanent basis. It’s understood the Gunners recognise the teenager’s opportunities will be restricted this season given the fierce competition within a packed midfield, and are consequently focusing on temporary moves.

Ultimately, Nwaneri’s destiny will hinge on the proposals Arsenal receive. Should the club be presented with an offer substantially exceeding their valuation for the attacking midfielder, the Gunners might be compelled to reconsider their position.

Arteta commented last week: “I want him to be at the club, but we have to consider in the medium, long term, what is best for the player as well.”

Arsenal plot raid for Man Utd duo

James Scanlon could leave Manchester United

James Scanlon could leave Manchester United

The Gunners are said to be chasing deals for two Manchester United prospects.

The Telegraph reports the north London outfit are working to secure both attacking midfielder James Scanlon, 19, and right-back Habeeb Ogunneye, 20, as part of their determined youth recruitment campaign over the past year.

The report suggests Arsenal are becoming increasingly optimistic that they can finalise deals for both players in the forthcoming weeks.

This follows the Red Devils’ capture of two of their own most promising prospects, defender Ayden Heaven and forward Chido Obi, in recent seasons.

United signed Heaven for a reported compensation and transfer fee in the range of £1.5million, while they bagged Obi for an undisclosed cross-category youth compensation fee.

Habeeb Ogunneye could also make an exit at Manchester United

Habeeb Ogunneye could also make an exit at Manchester United(Image: Manchester United via Getty Imag)

Scanlon joined United from Derby County back in 2021 and has already accumulated an impressive 24 international caps for Gibraltar, the nation of his mother’s heritage.

The right-footed star, normally deployed on the left wing, spent the latter half of last season on loan at Swindon Town, scoring twice in 14 appearances.

Meanwhile, Ogunneye featured in 21 matches on loan at Newport County last season before his recall in January. The England Under 17s ace shone in League One.

The defender, who hails from London, has already been named in several first-team matchday squads at United.

Article continues below

The fees United may have to pay for the pair have not yet been disclosed.