London24NEWS

Huntingdon practice hero discharged from hospital two weeks after saving ‘a number of lives’ in mass stabbing

A 48-year-old LNER rail staff member credited with saving ‘multiple lives’ has been discharged from hospital following a mass stabbing on a train earlier this month. 

Samir Zitouni, known as Sam, had been in a critical condition since November 1, having suffered multiple injuries during the attack, which took place close to Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire.

He had been working onboard the London North Eastern Railway (LNER) 6.25pm train from Doncaster to London King’s Cross when a crazed knifeman launched a terrifying rampage.

Mr Zitouni is said to have used a frying pan from the buffet carriage kitchen to stop the attacker from reaching other passengers while armed police and medics were deployed to Huntingdon station, where the train made an unscheduled stop.

He was repeatedly stabbed and rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries, but is now well enough to have been discharged from hospital and continue his recovery at home.

Mr Zitouni’s family said tonight: ‘We are so grateful for the outpouring of support from the public, and very touched by all the kind words about Sam’s brave actions on the night of the attack.

‘While we are really happy to have him home, he still has a significant recovery ahead and we would now like to be left in privacy to care for him as a family.’

LNER staff member Samir Zitouni had been in a critical condition since November 1, having suffered multiple injuries

LNER staff member Samir Zitouni had been in a critical condition since November 1, having suffered multiple injuries

Anthony Williams, 32, of Peterborough, appeared at Peterborough magistrates’ court charged with 11 counts of attempted murder in connection with a knife attack on board the LNER train and another in east London on November 1.

Police confirmed that the attack has been linked to four other knife incidents, including threats made to staff by a knifeman at Ritzy Barbers in Huntingdon on October 31, and again on the morning of November 1. 

The man is said to have arrived at the shop just moments after a 14-year-old boy was stabbed in Peterborough city centre at 7.10pm. 

And a fourth incident that has now been linked is the stabbing of a 17-year-old person on a DLR train at Pontoon Dock in the early hours of Saturday, for which Mr Williams has already been charged with attempted murder.