Israel-Lebanon 10-day ceasefire agreed as Trump says he’ll ‘resolve tenth conflict’

Lebanon and Israel have agreed to a 10-day ceasefire, Donald Trump said, as he claims to have helped settle the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah

View 3 Images

The temporary ceasefire is set to commence at 5pm EST (10pm BST)(Image: Getty Images)

Lebanon and Israel have consented to a 10-day ceasefire, according to Donald Trump, who asserts that the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah will be the 10th war he has helped resolve.

The temporary ceasefire is set to commence at 5pm EST (10pm BST), the US president announced in a Truth Social post, adding that he had “excellent conversations” with Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin “Bibi” Netanyahu.

He claimed both nations agreed to the truce after convening in Washington, D.C. for the first time in 34 years, alongside US Secretary of State Marco Rubio. Trump stated he has directed Rubio, Vice-President JD Vance and Joint Chiefs Chairman Dan Caine to collaborate with Israel and Lebanon to “achieve a Lasting PEACE”.

He professed to have previously resolved “nine wars across the world” and that this would be his tenth peace deal.

Trump and his administration have purported to have assisted in resolving or de-escalating the following conflicts:

  1. Israel and Iran
  2. The Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda
  3. Cambodia and Thailand
  4. India and Pakistan
  5. Serbia and Kosovo
  6. Egypt and Ethiopia
  7. Armenia and Azerbaijan
  8. Israel and Hamas

It is not clear which ninth war refers Trump is referring to. He may be referring to the US-Israel war with Iran, which he began with strikes on February 28.

However, the reality contradicts these assertions. Violence persists in countries such as the Democratic Republic of Congo.

India has refuted any involvement by Trump in securing a ceasefire with Pakistan, while Serbia has declared it had no intentions to wage a war with Kosovo, reports the Mirror.

In a subsequent post, Trump said he would extend an invitation to Aoun and Netanyahu to the White House for the “first meaningful talks” between Israel and Lebanon since 1983.

Article continues below

He said: “In addition to the statement just issued, I will be inviting the Prime Minister of Israel, Bibi Netanyahu, and the President of Lebanon, Joseph Aoun, to the White House for the first meaningful talks between Israel and Lebanon since 1983, a very long time ago.

“Both sides want to see PEACE, and I believe that will happen, quickly! President DONALD J. TRUMP”.

Breaking NewsDonald TrumpIran