Leo Timney-Peers had been sick throughout the day before he collapsed in his mum’s arms in St Helens town centre – he was rushed to Whiston Hospital but tragically died later that day
A St Helens lad who was described as being “full of life” by his devastated mum passed away after collapsing in her arms while heading to a walk-in centre.
Leo Timney-Peers had been unwell throughout the day, with his mum, Keeley Timney, telling the ECHO how he had been suffering with sickness. As they made their way along Parr Street in St Helens town centre on Thursday, May 14, Leo collapsed in Keeley’s arms, before she immediately started performing CPR on the six-year-old.
Two bystanders, a man and a woman, assisted the 20-year-old mum in attempting to resuscitate her son before an ambulance arrived and rushed Leo to Whiston Hospital. Despite the best efforts of everyone involved, Leo died in Whiston Hospital later that day.
Paying tribute to her only child, Keeley said: “He was just full of life from the minute he woke up to when he went to bed. He was bouncing off the walls and he was just a gorgeous character. Everyone loved him and he was always smiling.”, reports the Liverpool Echo. “He always has the kindest heart and he was just amazing.”
Keeley, who works as an ancillary carer and lives in Parr, added: “He was kind-hearted, outgoing, and beautiful inside and out. He always tried to make people happy, if anyone was upset he was upset.”
A GoFundMe has since been established to help Keeley and her family cover Leo’s funeral costs, with the family still awaiting answers as to what caused the boy’s death.
People can donate to the GoFundMe here. Speaking about how she feels less than a week on from her son’s death, Keeley said: “I am absolutely devastated. I don’t think it will ever feel real. It’s just mental, he was perfect and he didn’t deserve this. It’s absolutely awful.”
She added: “Everyone tried their best when it happened. A man and woman were going past and they jumped in to help no questions asked. There were quite a few people surrounding us to try and help me while Leo was in the back of the ambulance.
“Everyone tried their best but there was nothing that anyone could say to make it better. We still don’t know why this happened.”
Writing on the fundraiser, Keeley said: “We unfortunately lost our gorgeous boy Leo on the 14th May. Anyone who knew him knew that he was the most beautiful boy.
“He had a smile that could light up any room he walked into. He never failed to make us smile every single day. He had the most kindest heart.
“We are setting this up to give our boy the send off he deserves. He deserves the whole entire world and we can only try to give him that. Any contribution whether that be sending money or just simply sharing is appreciated very much. Thank you for reading. Let’s give my gorgeous baby the best, because he genuinely was the best.”
Following Leo’s death, his school, Broad Oak Primary School, closed to all pupils on Friday in memory of the boy. A spokesperson for St Helens Council told the ECHO: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of a child at Broad Oak Primary School, and our thoughts are with the family and the wider school community.
“The headteacher has closed the school today out of respect for the family and the devastating grief they face, felt also by pupils and staff.”
Merseyside Police informed the ECHO last week: “We can confirm that emergency services were in attendance following the death of a child in St Helens yesterday, Thursday, May 14. At around 4.50pm we received a call that a six-year-old boy had collapsed on Parr Street and a passer-by carried out CPR until emergency services arrived at the scene.
“Sadly the child was pronounced deceased at hospital and his family is being supported. A post-mortem will be carried out to establish the full circumstances and cause of death and enquiries are ongoing.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.