London24NEWS

Teenage woman, 16, and boy, 17, are killed in crash on nation lane after automobile ‘swerved off highway’ – as third teen rushed to hospital

Police are investigating after two teenagers were killed and a third was rushed to hospital when a car careered off a remote country lane in Kent. 

Emergency services were called to reports that a car had left the carriageway on Old Ferry Road at Iwade, near Sittingbourne, at around 8.30pm on Saturday. 

Two occupants of a blue Ford Fiesta, a 17-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl, were later pronounced dead. 

A third occupant, a 16-year-old girl, was taken to a local hospital for treatment and has since been discharged. 

The road was closed while the investigation was carried out following the incident.

Flowers have now been laid at the side of the road where the tragedy happened by passersby.  

Detectives from the Kent Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit are now appealing for anyone who may have been in the area at the time, or who may have relevant dashcam or CCTV footage, to contact Kent Police. 

A spokesperson for the South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) previously said: ‘Multiple crews, critical care paramedics, and The Air Ambulance Charity, Kent Surrey Sussex attended the scene.

The scene where the accident happened near Iwade in Kent. Two teenagers died and a third was taken to hospital

The scene where the accident happened near Iwade in Kent. Two teenagers died and a third was taken to hospital 

Flowers were laid at the scene by passersby. The victims are understood to all be from the local area

Flowers were laid at the scene by passersby. The victims are understood to all be from the local area 

‘However sadly two occupants of the vehicle were later confirmed deceased, with a third occupant being taken to a local hospital for further medical treatment.’

The teenagers are understood to all be from the local area, with one being named as a sixth form student at Fulston Manor School in Sittingbourne. 

The country road, used by drivers travelling between Sittingbourne and Medway, was closed last Saturday between the junctions of Raspberry Hill Lane and Sheppey Way for several hours. 

The accident follows several others along the stretch of road, including the death of a woman in her 20s on Christmas Eve following a crash on the M2 near the motorway services and turn-off for Gillingham. 

It also follows the deaths of an 89-year-old grandfather after he was carried on top of a car that crashed into Gillingham last Monday, and that of a motorcyclist who was also killed along the same stretch of the M2. 

The remains of several vehicles are still at the scene, KentOnline reported.  

A local councillor is now calling for something to be done to prevent more tragedies. 

Kelvin Rivers-Simpson, Iwade parish councillor, told KentOnline: ‘It is very dangerous. 

‘The parish council are looking at doing something in that corner there because it is dangerous. 

‘It is on the highways improvement plan, which is the improvement plan. They were talking about a roundabout one time, but things move very slowly. 

‘That will be actively dealt with in the not-too-distant future.’